How do I use USB 2.0?

For some reason devices always pop up in Windows XP and say this device can run faster using USB 2.0. I built the computer, but don't know if I need a USB 2.0 controller card or what...

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Marvin
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

If you built the computer recently from recent components then it will already have USB2 hardware built in.

Likely it is a driver issue.

If you have put Windows Xp on it you should update to at least service pack 2 (latest is service pack 3).

The initial build of Windows XP does not support USB2.

Get service packs by repeatedly visiting Windows Update until you get offered it.

If you already have service pack 2 or 3 then you should tarck down the motherboard drivers for your system and possibly also get a USB 2 driver from the mobo website.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

no they will run ina usb 1.1

but if you have usb 2 they will run faster

if you have install service pack 1a /2 / 3 then the support for usb 2 is there

try upgrading the usb driver if your motherboard supports them

failing that you need to get a usb 2 card

• 1 decade ago

Because USB 2.0 is determined by the hardware, if you are getting the message, it is because the USB ports are the older 1.1. There is no software method of increasing them to 2.0. You would need to replace them, or if they are part of the system board, to add a USB 2.0 card in one of your PCI slots.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

you dont need it but it will make your things you plug into your USB faster

hope this helps

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

What OS are you using?

Try finding a driver for your machine.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.