Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsInfectious Diseases · 1 decade ago

My 5 year old son has flu, will I catch the flu, bearing in mind I have recently had the flu vaccine.?

Flu virus

Favorite Answer

Yes, if it's a different strain then you've been vaccinated against. Drug companies only guess at what strain will be most common, and vaccinate against that one strain only. Last year they guessed wrong, as in other years. That's why we don't bother.

It is possible. The flue has many different strands.

Basically when the flu vaccination is made for the yr, the makes just kinda guess at which strain(s) will be prevalent this year. They could be either right or wrong.

Plus, your son may not even have the strain that you were vaccinated for....but then again he might.

Its all up in the air. Regardless, wash your hands and do not breathe too much around him

The flu vaccine is not a guarentee that you will not get the flu. If you are around the flu virus you have a chance of catching it. The best preventive mesure is to make sure and wash your hands alot and keep them away from your face. The flu vaccine is a guess as to what string of flu will be this year. They don't always get it right though as the flu vaccine continues to develop and change from year to year. Good luck and make sure to wash your hands alot and sanatize things that he comes in to contact with.

There is a possibliity that you could get the flu. Just because you had the flu vaccine does not mean you cannot get the flu. The flu vaccine does not PREVENT the flu, but it can keep you from getting as sick as you normally may have, and is highly effective in preventing complications.....

It all depends, my grandmother got the chicken-pox vaccine but she still got shingles. I got the chicken-pox vaccine and I had it twice. It all depends on your body I guess.

Highly unlikely.