Anybody else the same way?

Just asking this out of curiousity...I started writing back 2000 but 2003 was when I really got into it and wrote more stories, most of them

fan-fiction. I joined fanfiction.net 3 years ago I do get positive feedback on my writing. One way I extend my vocabulary is using the closed caption on my tv, certain words I'm unfamiliar with I later look up in the dictionary. I sometimes use them in my everyday vocabulary and writing...but one thing though....I NEVER use profanity in my writing or when I speak...

anyone else the same?

Favorite Answer

Huh, I never thought of the closed caption idea! I do write down unfamiliar words and look them up--have been doing that all my life.

If you don't use profanity, don't start to please anyone else! There are enough words in the English language that you don't need to rely on the curse words, that's for sure. I don't mind the occasional use of profanity if it serves a purpose, but overuse takes away from the quality of the writing, in my opinion.

Do you have the book "Writing Down the Bones?" It has a lot of good writing exercises in it, and my favorite is this one: Make two columns, one of random nouns and the other of random adjectives. Purposely don't make them related. Then match up different adjectives with nouns that normally wouldn't be used together. Some will be silly but if you find even one set you can use, you are ahead of the game. Can do the same with verbs, etc.

I use profanity when it is appropriate and matches the character or the situation. You can't have a character say "God darn you" when the villain kills his mother, it just doesn't work out.