How many times did Bush try to stop the economic crisis we are now in?

And what stopped him?

Update:

"The republicans actually tried to regulate the sub-prime loans to avoid that crisis and TWICE the democrats voted no. So...The democrats stopped it. Barney frank testified at the congress that there was no problem in 2004....Nice eh?"

Isn't it amazing that so many people do not know this? It is so clearly documented. Bush tried to get Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac under control 17 times.

Update 2:

"0"

No, 17.

Update 3:

"He was too busy reading to 3rd graders, and playing with his cattle on the ranch"

Wrong. He tried 17 times. Read this:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&si...

Update 4:

"Presidents neither cause nor prevent economic crises single-handedly."

He tried.

Update 5:

"None."

No, 17.

Update 6:

"It was all mental, the fundamentals of the economy were strong...'

The mortgage industry sure wasn't.

Update 7:

"He didn't try to stop it."

You need to read the newspaper.

Update 8:

"zero-Presidents don't run economies, congress does."

Wrong. The congress (the democrats) stopped him but he tried very hard.

Update 9:

"The economy is sound. That is all he ever said."

Wrong. Very wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMnSp4qEXNM

Youtube thumbnail

Update 10:

"so quit blaming dems. for a problem that didn't yet exist."

Oh, it existed.

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The republicans actually tried to regulate the sub-prime loans to avoid that crisis and TWICE the democrats voted no. So...The democrats stopped it. Barney frank testified at the congress that there was no problem in 2004....Nice eh?

• 1 decade ago

The economy is sound. That is all he ever said. Never tried to stop something that he thought was working fine. He was blinded by ideology.

In 2004 there was no problem, so quit blaming dems. for a problem that didn't yet exist. Those on the right seem to forget that they were in control for the first six years of his failed admin. and no amount of rewriting history will ever change that.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Bush tried to stop many things but EVERYTHING has to go through congress and the senate. IF the votes are not there there is nothing any President can do.

Examples: Drilling & The Housing Crisis.

The democrats are in bed with to many organizations that prevent our Country from moving forward. Take the Auto Industry Unions and the list goes on.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Twice.

He endorsed the two and half pages of Paulson's bailout plan of September. He signed the modified version of that bill.

He secretly gave out 2 Trillion in emergency loans from the Fed.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

• Big C
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

He's a Conservative... so he's supposed to be about SAVING money right?

Wow, what a farce that was. He may be leaving, but all you folks who re-elected him are still out there.

Seriously, in his first term it was his fault, he tricked you. By the time you re-elected him it was CLEAR he was a fraud.

Thank GOD some people other than the SUCKERS who are ruining my country voted this time.

ADDED: I see your comments, Asker... and I NOTE you avoid the points I brought up. I used to be a conservative until BUSH PROVED that it's a LIE, we CONSERVED NOTHING!! Call them "Liars who Waste all our Money," because that's what GOP, Conservative, and Republican mean to me now.

• logan
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

He didn't try to stop it. He and his cronies have to many hands in their pockets from people on wall street. Why would they try to help this country and the people in it when they are getting paid nicely to let things go on as status quo?

• 1 decade ago

It was all mental, the fundamentals of the economy were strong...

I think I remember when they used to say it was all liberal doom and gloom because the GDP was stable.

• 1 decade ago

zero-Presidents don't run economies, congress does.

• 1 decade ago

Presidents neither cause nor prevent economic crises single-handedly.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.