any former creationists in here who are now evolution-accepting believers?

looking back, what is your honest opinion on creationism? do you agree it's more of a cult than a religion? what made you eventually come to accepting evolution.

to clarify, by believers i mean believers in god.

bk, from energy

Favorite Answer

My first years as a Christian I was a firm believer in a six day Creation with each day being 24 hours long. Then as I learned more about evolution and the Big Bang theory, I began re-reading Genesis with a different eye.

During seminary, we examined the Genesis account in the actual Hebrew, and wow, what an eye-opener that was.

I just want to add, several people on R&S have said lately that no "real Christian" can believe in evolution as the mechanism by which God brought us to the point we are now. What I would say to them is that being a Christian is based on faith in Jesus as savior. To add to that is to rewrite the Bible, and I wish they'd stop.

Early in my Christian walk I played around with the idea of Creationism, bought a couple book and a pack of movies from "Answers in Genesis". After watching those videos, I was completely horrified and I felt my faith being crushed.

Here was a man telling me that God wasn't Holy if He let dinosaurs die, and that if Creationism wasn't true the Bible wasn't true. Well, I could clearly see from the "evidence" he was offering that Creationism wasn't true, so I was having a crisis of faith. I had a lot of deep conversations with people, read a lot more books like "Paradise in Peril", "The Bible, Rocks and Time", "The Creationists", "How to Read Genesis" and came to the conclusion that Ken Ham is an absolute nut, and no one who knows the first thing about Hermenuetics could ever come to the conclusion that Young Earth Creationism was the correct result of reading Genesis.

I want to help other people understand that you CAN be a conservative Christian, affirming the inspiration and inerrancy of Scripture, and embrace secular science. Ken Ham is a liar.

• Aporia

I was a creationist back about the time I believed in Santa Claus and the tooth fairy. I have since learned that science has come up with far more logical theories and hypotheses to explain or try to explain these phenomena.

What I don't quite understand is how people claim to "believe" in the theory of evolution. They don't say they "believe" in the theory of gravity and certainly those theories don't need believers to make them plausible or not.

The theories will exist whether or not people wish to treat them as a religion.

• judge

no longer purely that, yet i'm in awe of the reality that I share distinctive ordinary ancestors with each and every residing element. p.c.. any 2 residing species, and you're able to hint each and each of their lineages back until you meet at a ordinary ancestral species, from time to time even in under a hundred,000 years. that's lots greater philosophically appealing (no longer to point having astronomically greater scientific evidence) than believing a 4,000 twelve months-previous Hebrew delusion approximately an invisible guy respiration into clay.

I guess when I was really young, and adults just told me that God created the world, and the whole adam and eve business. But as I went through school I could see that this science stuff was right. So yes, but it happened in elementary school.

• BK

If there are...then, hey...

Where did the first matter some from?

Source(s): Where did energy come from?