Book recommendation, fantasy/science fiction?

*NO MATURE CONTENT

*For teenagers (12-16)

*SCIENCE FICTION/FANTASY, like in aliens & monsters & kind of nerdy stuff. Dragons or something

*Please NO Narnia/Harry Potter/Stephenie Meyer/Eragon stuff

*NO VAMPIRE STUFF

*Preferably no alcohol

*Please suggest more than one book

*Please leave this question if your a noob when it comes to fantasy

*No naked persons in teh book <.<

*Don't answer just to get points

That was all. Thanks for all help! <333 The most important things are listed at the top, less important things is at the bottom. If you give a short plot summary, your chances of getting 10 points will increase! And of course the chance of getting a best answer will increase also if you have fantasy experience & is serious about the question.

Caring carer, I'm reading inkheart right now, sorry, I forgot to tell...

EarthKidd, that was a bit short books... I'd like them to be around 300 pages.. >.<

Buttertart, that sounds good ^^ Thanks for warning me about the mature content&drinking <333 && also for setting 12+, cause that helps me

Robert S, thanks for giving a description of the books, and warning <33

sgatlantisrose, thank you so much for giving a summary of the books, and for taking time to write that much, I really appreciate it. And thanks for informing me about new sci fi books.

Yes Annie, I did mean with dragons n stuff. Sorry for not making myself clear. Thanks for the warning, I think I'll stay away from too bloody stories, cause I didn't get to sleep recently [because of horror story], and that is very important. It helped a lot.

Robinsondk1: Thanks for the sites, and for telling me about the book ^^

Aww guys! I'd really love to give 10 points to more than one person... TT-TT

Best Answer

Terry Pratchett's Diskworld series. They are about Diskworld, which is a flat disk(think a coin) carried on the back of four elephants, who stand atop a giant turtle swimming through space...the books are satirical, and great fun. The first is The Color of Magic. I'd suggest jumping ahead to Hogfather's though, given the season. You'll never look at Santa the same way.

Much grimmer but still great reading, Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game. Imagine a world where aliens threaten mankind, and the hope of humanity lies in the hands of a cadre of children being trained with special war games to defeat them. A lot of moral issues, and fair bit of violence. Any victim of bullies will identify with some of the characters here.

Alan Dean Foster's Flinx series. Flinx, a young orphan, travels the galaxy with his flying snake Pip.... been a long time since I've read these but don't recall much "mature material" in them. And the protagonist is a teen.

The Caves of Steel by Isaac Asimov is a sci fi murder mystery. No aliens, but an android detective, in a future Earth where people rarely see the true sky.

Robert Heinlein. Make sure to look for the books he specifically wrote for younger audiences. Books like Stranger in a Strange land are NOT for non-mature audiences. But Starbeast and Podkayne of Mars are both fun reads. And both written as I said for teen readers. In Starbeast, a young boy is given a cute alien creature as a pet. And it grows. And grows. And grows.... Podkayne is a rare case(in its day) of a female as the main protagonist. Heinlein did usually write strong women, but here we have a young lady who is capable and bright, but still finds herself with more than she can handle.

Sorry that I don't have more in the way of newer books to suggest, but many modern sci fi books carry too much adult content to fit your stipulations.

*did you mean no dragons and aliens and such, because most sci-fi/fantasy is going to have SOMETHING of that in there. It's just the way it is. My recommendations do, but the works are written WELL, and that makes the difference :)

I've been reading sci-fi/fantasy since I was twelve. The ones I first read were Anne McCaffery's Dragon-riders of Pern series (amazing :) ), and Mercedes Lackey's Herald's of Valdimar series. They are great, and should be fine for the age group you mentioned.

There is also CJ Cherryh's books (none are graphic, some may have allusions to certain subject matter). Safe ones are her fantasy series beginning with Fortress In the Eye of Time (it has four books total), a sci-fi/fantasy standalone is Hammerfall, the Morgainne Saga is low-key (and one of my favs), and her first-contact sci-fi that has Defender, Precursor, etc in the cycles (it is an immense series and I forget the overall name of it).

Also, C.S. Friedman is a wonderful author. Start with When True Night Falls (sci-fi/fantasy mix) and there are two other books in the trilogy. These do have murder scenes, though, and the killer isn't the main character, but he is essential to the story. Just a warning.

Carol Berg's works are fantastic and aren't graphic. Her Revelation, Transformation, Restoration trilogy is beautiful, and I highly recommend it.

Everything else she's written is worth your time, too. It is a mix of fantasy/romance (I hate romance novels. So.), but not overbearing or tedious. I promise.

Robin Hobb is worth checking out; especially her Assasin's trilogy and the succeeding cycles. There is allusions to sex, but nothing major.

I know there's more (I have a whole bookshelf packed with this genre), but none that could fit all of your criteria. Remember, some of these may differ enough from what you've said. But I read these at a young age and understood and wasn't shocked by them, so I figure that can be said for the majority of the 12-16 age group.

Hope this helps :)

For Fantasy I really loved the Dragonriders of Pern series by Anne McCaffrey.

Also look into the Dune series by Frank Herbert especially the 1st book Dune.

On the SciFi side:

One of my all time favorites is Enders Game by Orson Scott Card.

I liked almost everything by Isaac Asimov. The Foundation series is geeky & "sciency" but good. The Robot series including "I Robot" but the book is different than the movie.

Cools stuff with virtual reality computer related things in it: William Gibson. Keanu Reeves did Johnny Mnemonic which was based on a story of his.

I also read L Ron Hubbard's Battlefield Earth in 7th grade. Excellent.(don't see the movie though!)

I also loved all of Robert A Heinlein's stuff but some of it has Mature Content(lots of sex).

Ray Bradbury:

Arthur C Clark wrote the book on one of my favorite movies 2010.

Good luck.

The Sword of Truth Series by Terry Goodkind

Wizards First Rule is the first of the 11 novel series.

It is good for all ages, some reference to mature content but no actual description. Contains magic, wizards etc. NO VAMPIRES I PROMISE! There MAY be alcohol here and there but if there is it is only mentioned in passing.

Good for ALL ages 12+.

Try Edgar Rice Burroughs' John Carter of Mars series (12 novels) if you are looking for romantic science fantasy/fiction. The first is titled "A Princess of Mars."

Lots of swordplay, lots of strange creatures. No sex and no graphic violence. The characters are described as naked in a Victorian sense, but there is no sexuality, overt or covert, and no graphic descriptions of the characters. No alcohol use that I recall.

Pixar is working on a John Carter of Mars movie.

I'd also recommend his Tarzan series (24 novels) and his Earth's Core series (6 novels, IIRC.)

For more on ERB, visit ERBlist.com and tarzan.com

Source(s): ERBlist.com Tarzan.com

Ingo series by Helen Dunmore

Inkheart series by Cornelia Funke

-Dragon Rider's of Pern series

-Dune

-A Wrinkle in Time

-The Last Unicorn

maximaium ride series

maby the uglies triolagy