6
6 asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 decade ago

Was she being rude and who was right?

The other day, i was in the dressing room trying things on and talking with my cousin and we were talking about the Harry Potter books at the mall. This 30 year old lady then shouts, "Excuuuse me! Soooome of us haven't finished reading those yet!" We stopped talking about it but i felt that it was rude of her to be listening in and then telling us that we couldn't talk about it. I was using my usual voice (i have a naturally quiet voice). I can swear to you that i was not being loud and that everybody i know always complains about never being able to hear me because i'm so quiet.

Favorite Answer

Ussually I am the type to shut up and walk away when someone does that to me. But in your case I would have turned around to her and said " exuse you! I am not shouting it off the roof tops and you can walk away and no listen to our converstation!

HOW RUDE! She was being rude. If you two were using your inside voices and just talking that it was very rude that she said that. Next time something like that happens and she's rude. Just say something like " Gee I thought my elders were polite people. I guess I was wrong."

and than just walk away normaly. She'll have a gaping mouth and you will have delt wtih her.

Don't worry about it. Everyone has met people like that. Let it roll off your back and not worry about it.

To answer Amber: Since when is 30 considered "too old" to read the Harry Potter books? I am 28 and I still read things like that. It's good reading and there is no age limit. My 60-year-old mother reads them!

As for the asker -- She was the one who was rude and out of line. You did not know she had been reading the books nor did you know where she was in the book. Had you been speaking to her and she mentioned it that would be one thing. But you were talking to your friend, not her. You had no idea the woman was reading them and hadn't finished. She was way out of line, plain and simple. I would have simply apologized and went somewhere else.

I do my best to ignore rudeness and all, but some times I just flat out tell a person that they seem like they may have been better raised had it been by wolves and if they keep at it I can lose my temper pretty quickly.

It's lucky the woman was around you and not me or she mighta had a tricky visit to the ER regarding a public dispute and misuse of a clothes hanger o_O

You could've and I would've said , wow, since I have a quiet voice I didn't know anyone could hear let alone eavesdrop on my conversation.

Let her feel embarrassed as she should.

I was in a hurry to go to a movie and was in line at the store with my daughter once first just behind one other lady checking out. There was only one cashier then, so I said to my daughter quietly that I hope she's done soon as this seems to be going slow and I want to see the show..so she SARCASTICALLY said Oh, I'll take one of those too..and pointed to some item at the counter and said that she said this as she heard that I said I hope she's done soon. I then turned to my daughter and said: how rude, she shouldn't be listening in..I want to not be late to see the show. It got her to shut up fast then I noticed.

• julz

So an eavesdropper scolded you for your topic of conversation? That's hilarious. I would have shouted back that maybe she should butt out of my conversation, as I wasn't talking to her in the first place.

Besides, the last book came out, what? over a year ago? I could understand if it just came out and people hadn't had time to read it yet, but you can't expect people not to discuss how books and movies ended months and years later, just because you haven't gotten around to them yet. Maybe she should learn to read faster.

It is normal to have conversations about things you like. She could have asked you politely, and not shout, but she should not have been listening in and react to it.

Everyone listens in once in a while; it's only natural. But to react to it in such a way is rude, because then you are no longer just listening in, but making other people's business seem like your own.

So yes, she was being rude, and it isn't your problem that she takes so long to read the books. You have every right to converse about them.

She was well out of order! If she had overheard you and didnt want to know more she could have said "i'm a big fan myself could u talk about Harry Potter later as I dont want to know any spoilers". Her way was well rude and there was no need for that.

Freedom of Speech...I guess she hasn't heard of that one. I would've kept on ramblin about the books. If she didn't like it she could've left to another store or some where else. She was plain rude and she shouldn't have being listening to you convo. I would've thrown a hanger over to where she was dressing at or yelled back at her saying " she was nothing but a fat a55 busybody." and continued on talking.

• Aporia

Well, she certainly could have been more polite about that! I do not blame her for asking that you refrain from talking about the ending, but it's not as though you were in a movie line talking about that ending. You were not to know she was there, but she should have been MUCH more civil.

I suppose you could have said "oh i'm so sorry, are there any other books or movies you haven't finished that we should avoid?" but then that would've probably made her even more angry. Sigh...

That's definitely rude. If it bothered her so much she should have left. It's like if i'm in a restaurant and someone is smoking near me i'm not going to tell them to put out their cigarette....i'm going to move to the opposite side of the restaurant!