Tax on Form 1099C of a short sale of a vacant lot in Florida?

Can I claim a "capital loss" from the sale in order to offset the income resulting from the Form 1099C?

1 Answer

  • SusieQ
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    In order to deduct a loss, the lot must have been held for investment purposes. If it was, and if you "sold" the lot for less than you paid, that is a loss. The income is the amount of the loan forgiven.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.