Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBuying & Selling · 1 decade ago

Just bought a car and the odometer broke?

it was a private party deal, bill of sales and title of have been signed. Could i cancel the Cashier Check?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Private party sales are AS IS meaning no warranty and you cant return it either. All you can do is fix it. If you stop payment on the check he can call the police and charge you with theft by deception. That's the chance you take buying a used car as they all need some repair......md

• 1 decade ago

As I told you yesterday, no. You bought a used car with a broken odometer. If you cancelled the check, you could be charged with fraud or theft by conversion. Just get it fixed. The seller is under no obligation to cover or even help with the repair. This is the risk you take when you buy a used vehicle.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Do you mean it broke AFTER you bought it, or it was broken when you checked after the sale?

In either case it's "caveat emptor" (buyer beware) it's in your own interest to examine goods you are going to buy to ensure they are in good order, if you just didn't notice this, too bad.

If it broke after you collected it that's just fair wear and tear.

Does something lead you to think that the odometer might have been deliberately broken (or disconnected?) ? If you were suspicious you really should have got a mechanic's (AAA) report beforehand.

• 1 decade ago

A car deal between private parties is an "as is" deal unless stated in a written contract.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I assume it was a used car. If you canceled the check, then the person could sue you. Besides, the check might already be cashed, and then its too late.

Why not talk to the guy that sold it to you and ask him to replace it. He might do it. If not, just get it fixed. It can't be that much to replace it.

• 1 decade ago

NO, cashier's checks are not cancellable...same as cash!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.