*WHAT ARE REASONS WHY A POTENTIAL MILITARY RECRUIT OR ANYBODY WOULD REFUSE TO ENLIST?*?

Specific answers.

Favorite Answer

My husband backed out of the Navy back in 2003 after I caught on to the recruiter's lies. I had started networking with other military wives and from talking to them, found out that nearly everything that the recruiters told us were lies. They talked my husband into signing on for an extra 4 years and told him not to discuss it with me. We were young (19-20 years old, and had a one year old baby) and did not know what to expect.

I would have been extremely proud to have been a military wife. I am so thankful for everything our service men and women do for us, and pray for ALL of them to return safe.

But we backed out because of the recruiters doing and saying anything at all to get him in. My husband WANTED to join, they had no reason to lie like they did, promising money and first pick of where he was stationed, what ship he worked on, college for myself and our son, etc. It sounded too good to be true, and I'm glad I trusted my instincts.

Source(s): experience
  • paul

Every person who reaches 18 is a potential military recruit. Many do not like the military and do not want to enlist, Today in the US that is their right. reasons not to serve;

1. favor peace over war.

2. do not feel the need for a standing army.

3. Object to the training manner the military has (discipline and following orders)

4. Is not physically able to meet the military standards.

5. Has a family and would prefer to work from home.

and on and on.

Cold feet. Pressure from loved ones to reconsider. Finding out the military is nothing like those video games or TV shows. Suddenly realizing that you have signed a contract which permits the government to put you in a situation where absolute strangers want to kill you.

• ?

When there is no need for it.

But when the social climate is ripe for a military infusions of young and aggressive young adults and especially if these young minds are inspired, then you can tell the level of potentials in your area or in any specific place.

A lot of times teenagers will make this decision to join. They think its cool its what they want. Then they change their mind. They are still young and may not know exactly what they want in life. Who knows. I still think once they go through MEPS and take the first oath they shouldn't be able to back out. They need to learn responsibility somehow. They need to know their word is what people trust.

No interest in military service

Political objections

Don't like being told what to do

Fear

Religious Objections

Better opportunity elsewhere

Family desires

Dislike for the military as your profile would suggest.

Incidentally you may want to update it. The Army motto is no longer "Be all you can be" and "Army of One". The new motto is Army Strong.

Because being in the military as an enlisted person sucks.

• Shmoe

I can't give you specific answers without a specific question.

But in our 'all volunteer' force, people can make better decisions for themselves than the military.

as it is an all volunteer military then they are not so much refusing BUT in fact making a choice for them selves.

why some people chose [note not refuse] could be varied, they don't want to, some of them know they could not make it, some have other plans etc etc.

Cowardice.

Putting on too much weight.

Family emergency.

Closeted homosexuality.

Conscientious objector.

Probably a ton of reasons. The military isn't for everyone.