Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · 1 decade ago

do you think my intel e8500 o.c to 3.6GHz will last me like 2 years before a upgrade is needed?

i like to play the latest video games so i want to know how long this baby would last me before i cant play games on high settings with this processor

• C-Man
    Favorite Answer

Should be good for a couple of years... but the processor is much less important than the video card. That's where you get the most payoff for spending your hard-earned $$$.

If you're running a card like the Radeon 4850 or GeForce 9800GT, somebody with a stock E8400 and Radeon 4870, GTX 260, or GeForce 9800GTX+ still smokes ya...

Depends on how much farther you are willing to OC that processor, and how well upcoming graphic card solutions handle the latest games. I think you should be ablel to get plenty of milege out of that processor. I ran a Athlon X2 4200 (stock) until early this summer, That was nearly 3 years for me.

Two years from now, or even a year from now, the 775 quad cores will be pennies on the dollar, and you can extend the life of your motherboard at least for another few years. Ive got a E8400, which I expect to last at least 2 years. Don't think my 8800gt will last two years, however. . My video card selections have always been more expensive then my CPU's

I doubt it for your type of use.

The game people keep "improving" games thereby needing faster processors and more memory, and better video and/or sound cards.

Personally, I think it is a conspiracy between the game makers and the computer makers, but that is just my opinion.