Do dealership repair shops normally charge for diagnosis?

I recently got an ignition coil replaced at a dealership.

They charged me $80 for the repair itself and then another $100 for diagnosis.

Is it standard practice for repair shops to charge for diagnosis? I guess I've never seen an instance where the diagnosis cost more than the repair itself.

• J L
    Favorite Answer

Most of the time its charged into the the repair. You are charges 1/2 hour to check it out if the work is booked for 2 hours you are charged the 2 hours. Some shops will charge for problems that take a long time to diagnose I mean if the mechanic has to spent 2 hours chasing a power loss or some other problem he should get paid for that time.

Source(s): Gm dealer for 10 years and counting.
  • ky509

It really depends on the trouble your car is having. If it requires a hook up to an analyzer in order to diagnose the problem then yes it is standard practice to charge for the service. It takes a well trained technician with special training just to be able to hook you car up to the computer analyzer, let alone properly operating the equipment. But, the diagnostics are a necessary evil when trouble shooting your car. I guarantee you your fix is cheap in comparison to a person with the exact same problem that takes his car to a shade tree mechanic and that mechanic changes parts till he finally finds the correct bad part. You buy a lot of new un necessary parts if you don`t have a proper diagnosis. Today`s cars are loaded with electrical components. There is just no way of knowing what is wrong with out the hook up to the machine.

Charges range from 50 to 150 bucks.

I hope this helps.

Source(s): 40 years in the trades

this is what is done at my dealership. you come in with a problem its like $80 for us to look at it. if you want it fixed the $80 applies to the repair itself. if not then you pay the $80 because we still looked at it anyways.

so if your repair was $250 after the diagnostic procedure. then you paid an additional $170

If your car is OBD2 compliant (made after 1996) you can take it to Auto Zone or whatever parts store and they'll plug in their scanner for you.

Granted, it only reads what the computer in your car tells it, so if you have other problems, you will probably be stuck paying the diagnosis fee.

• Bub

Yes, most dealerships and small professional shops charge a diagnostic fee..... just because they can.

yes it is normal,a average of about $75.00 for a diagnosis,which is usually hooking up to you're cars computer.