Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

help! my 4 month old lab pees in small crate?

my yellow lab will pee in crate at night almost everynight....he also was laying on the couch next to me and just laid there and peed all over and didnt even budge almost like he peed while he was sleeping he also eats his own poop...this seems very odd to me

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Have you talked to your Vet about this? He could have an incontinence problem...

At 4 months, he'll still need to go out at least once during the night - The rule of thumb to use for a puppy holding it is # of Months + 1, so right now, he's good for about 5 hours.

• 1 decade ago

crate could be too big and he probably peed in his sleep cause he had been holding it so long when he relaxed it just came out. I have a new puppy and he has not once went ont he floor he goes out every hour. You have to take them out a lot start with every hour for a week then 1 1 1/2 hours the second week then 2 hours so on so forth eventually he will have a strong enough bladder to hold it. You have to be consistent and follow through. If you take him out back then do it all the time do not switch from back to front its confusing.

• 1 decade ago

dogs eating poop is not odd, it's just odd for humans, a pregnant ***** will eat her puppies poo, now is this peeing this new or old? if old > you haven't train him properly, if new > he need the vets! when he's in the crate at night are you with him? is is whining and peeing out of anxiety? maybe put the crate where he can at least see you, outside your room maybe? and let him out just before he goes in toe sleep, before you go to sleep and first thing in the morning! also limit his food and water intake after 6! good luck!

• 1 decade ago

First off, his crate should only allow him to be in there at puppy stage. No room for him to pee them move out of the way, or even scrunch up into a corner. That's number one.

Number two, does he whine at night to get out? At all? Maybe you're too deep in sleep to hear him whine and he's forced to go. Start setting your alarm to every hour and a half for it to go off so you can wake up to let him outside to see if he has to go. It's great to teach the "go pee" command. You do this by watching your dog, and as he squats to pee, say very calmly yet positively "go pee" so he won't stop, but will react to it. Once he starts peeing, tell him "go pee! go pee! good boy!" and give him praise once he's done. He'll soon associate it. Then you can take him out that every hour and a half, point to your yard once your outside, and tell him to go pee. He'll most liekly empty whatever he has, even if it is a small amount.

Eating poop is for a variety of reasons. One, is it's because your dog isn't getting a healthy diet so he's eating his poop to gain nutrients. Make sure your dog is having a balanced diet. Another is because he's stressed-induced. Are you acting as the leader of the pack, or are you letting him get away with things? Do you yell at him often? Etc., etc. Another thing is because it is mere dog instinct. Wolves will eat their own poop to clean out their den. You need to teach him it isn't okay, mainly because it is gross and it can pass disease onto you. Try picking up his poop right when he poops, or you can put hot sauce over it. Sometimes dogs will persist, so you then can give him supplements that are made to get dogs to stop eating them. (gives their poop a smell that is displeasing to dogs, as well as a taste.) If that doesn't work, you need to teach him the leave it command. Get those little construction flags, (the ones that are about a foot tall on metal stokes and with square bright colored flags on the top, very small ones.) and teach him to leave the flag alone. You can learn how to teach the leave it command online. Then, whenever he poops, mark the poop with the flag. Watch him while he is outside. Whenever he goes near one of those flags, give him a stern "leave it". Once he does, let him go about his way. Pack leaders do not praise. If he goes back, give another sharp, stern "leave it." Correct him as needed. Soon enough, he'll see that those flags are off-limits, and since they're off limits, he can't get to the poop!

That's how to solve your problems. Once he grows older and is potty-trained, you won't have to worry about him peeing in his crate. He'll learn. Just have patience and remember, once he does pee in his crate, if you don't catch him, you CANNOT correct him. He won't understand what you mean. Dogs live for the moment, they don't think like humans. So if he's in his crate asleep, and went pee, and you find there is pee in there, and now he's sitting in his crate, waiting to be let out, and you tell him no, he can either a) associate that sitting in his crate is bad, b) associate being calm in his crate is bad, or c) associate that pee in his crate is bad. But he won't learn that peeing in his crate is bad. He'll only think that having pee in there is bad, and he won't get it. It'll only lead to confusion.

Good luck!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

She is working into the cage by way of fact of your reaction, no longer by way of fact she is familiar with she did something incorrect. canines merely do no longer think of that way. in case you stayed out along with her long sufficient to get her thoroughly emptied out, there is not any way there may be any pee left once you introduced her back into the abode. in no way deliver her back in until you have considered her pee and after being long previous that long for the period of the day, i'm constructive that one pee episode isn't thoroughly emptying the bladder.

• 1 decade ago

I would take the pup out more often and take the pup to the vet to check if he has a bladder problem and what to do about him eating his poop.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

he might have a bladder problem. as per eating the poop it usually means he does not have enough nutrients. buy pills at 1800petmeds and when he eats it his poop will taste bad.

never hit him.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

he needs to go out more.i would get up in the middle of night to take my pup out.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i word take him to the vt and ask if hes peein n hi sleep thats not right

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.