If identity thieves bought a bunch of stuff would that be mine? ?

My Identity was stolen a year ago and I just found out. what ever those guy bought with my credit is actually mine right? and is there a way to get that stuff back to me?

Favorite Answer

Identity theives don't usually keep the stuff they buy. They will buy high-end electronics then sell them to the highest bidder for the cash.

No one steals someone's identity just to get a stereo.

• Almond

The items that the thieves buy does not belong to you, your credit company reimburses you when your identity is stolen. So, the items that were bought is admitted into evidence to prosecute. Once they have been convicted the items are released to the credit card company to what they want to do with the items.

Depends on your credit card company that the stuff was bought on. It just happened to me recently and I reported it to my credit card company...Chase. They went over purchases with me to make sure I didn't make them and then they erased the charges from my account. They sent me some paper work to sign more or less saying that I didn't make those purchases. After that they started an investigation. They erased the charges and I am waiting to hear if they found the person who made the charges.

See a lawyer. Laws vary from one state to the next so I don't know what your legal rights are. Technically the stuff belongs to you since your credit card paid for it unless they made the payments on the credit card for it.

• erlene

The mail and the web are major routes for fraud hostile to merchants who promote and deliver products, and impacts valid mail-order and internet merchants. If the cardboard isn't bodily present day (said as CNP Card no longer present day) the provider provider ought to position self assurance in the holder (or someone purporting to be so) providing the suggestion circuitously, even if by making use of mail, telephone or over the web. even as there are safeguards to this, it remains extra volatile than providing in human being, and definitely card issuers have a tendency to value a extra robust transaction cost for CNP, as a results of more advantageous chance. To many human beings's marvel, telephone ordering is the most volatile, far extra volatile than the web. See less than link :)

Not unless you paid off the creditors.

I assume that you reported this theft and did not pay? Then the property belongs to the company from which it was stolen - not you.

.

That's a good question. It will be evidence in a criminal case until resolved. But if you are forced to pay for it or already did and can't get the money reinstated to your account, then yes it is yours.

i would think if they busted the guys who did it then the police would confiscate the stuff and return it and your credit card would take off the debt so you didn't pay for it so no you don't get the stuff

No, because for it to be yours you would have had to purchased in person or been given it as a gift, but there are still ways to get those purchased items.

no. that is evidence in a criminal case. you are not involved in that case. this is a case of fraud and/or theft against a retailer. your credit card is a different case entirely, and your losses should be covered by the card issuer.