Does anyone have a great yet different candied yams recipe?

Favorite Answer

Thanksgiving is my "FAVORITE" holiday and you can't have Thanksgiving without candied yams. otherwise known as Sweet Potatoes..

here is an excellent Family recipe for Candied yams.

ENJOY ....

Candied Yam Souffle Ingredients

1 stick butter 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 cup light brown sugar 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/2 cup chopped pecans 1 (12-ounce) jar marshmallow topping

4 cans large yams or sweet potatoes drained

Candied Yam Souffle

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add brown sugar and pecans. Simmer for 3 minutes. Meanwhile, place drained yams in a large bowl and mash finely with a potato masher (leaving some chunked pieces). Pour sugar/pecan mixture over yams. Stir until combined thoroughly. Add in cinnamon and nutmeg. Transfer to a metal pie pan. Top with marshmallow topping. Bake for 15 minutes at 325 degrees F. Remove from the oven and raise the oven temperature to 400 degrees F. Bake for an additional 10 minutes at 400 degrees F to brown the top, watching carefully to keep from over-browning.

Yes I do....and this recipe is not sicky sweet...just requires a little time....have made it several times...and we are in luck 'cause the tangerines are now in season!! It's from Cooking Light Magazine.

Start this recipe a couple days ahead because you want to roast the sweet potatoes or yams in the oven to bring out their sweetness....

and don't forget to line the cookie sheet with foil to catch the sticky juices and save on clean-up

NOTE #1 You can use canned sweet potatoes and really cut down

on the prep and cook time, but we use fresh because they taste so great after roasting. (we don't have yams readily available here)

NOTE #2.. I use only 2 lemons and sometimes add more tangerine juice..and I use grated tangerine rind ...tried the original recipe and found that the lemon (which I love) was too much for most people's tastes

You can also adjust the brown sugar to your taste...I use 1/2 cup

Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving...Dotti B

Tangerine Sweet Potatoes

9 cups thinly sliced peeled sweet potatoes (about 2 1/2 pounds)

8 lemon slices

Cooking spray

2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar

1 tablespoon grated tangerine or orange rind

1/2 cup fresh tangerine or orange juice

2 tablespoons margarine, melted

Preheat oven to 400°.

Arrange sweet potatoes and lemon slices in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Combine remaining ingredients. Drizzle sugar mixture over potatoes; cover with foil. Bake at 400° for 35 minutes. Uncover, stir well, and bake an additional 30 minutes.

Yield: 12 servings (serving size: 1/2 cup)

CALORIES 168 (13% from fat); FAT 2.4g (sat 0.5g,mono 0.9g,poly 0.8g); IRON 1mg; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 42mg; CARBOHYDRATE 36.7g; SODIUM 39mg; PROTEIN 2.1g; FIBER 3.2g

Cooking Light, NOVEMBER 1996

Source(s): Cooking Light, November 1996

My grandmother prepares this every Thanksgiving and it's always a hit. First put in your yam mixture, then put pineapple over the top and follow it with marshmallows. Then, take the juice of the pineapple and pour it over the mellows, it'll be delicious!