Certified Marriage & Common-Law Marriage (Texas)?

What are the financial differences between a certified marriage and a common-law marriage in texas? I already know the different methods of getting married, certified marriage requires the application and certification while common-law requires that you present yourself as married. But, does common-law marriage have the same financial benefits as a certified marriage? Example; federal witholding, filing for a join-tax return, etc.

1

Source(s): Marriage Record Search Database : http://marriagerecords.zourg.com/?yWe
  • Yve

There are no differences between certified and common-law marriage in Texas. Marriage is marriage.

To be common-law married in Texas, you need three things: cohabitation, presentation of yourselves as married, and witnesses to the presentation of yourselves as married.

There is no minimum length of cohabitation. You can be common-law married within 24 hours of moving in together.

Certified means you're recognized by the government... Common law usually means you've lived together for a long enough period of time to be considered married.... I forget, is it TX that states you just have to introduced them as your spouse 3 times?? I believe one state's laws are exactly that.....

But in my opinion, why one earth would you live with someone for say, 7 years and become a common law marriage.... why not just get officially married? You wouldn't have to do the white dress wedding with all the guests.... but could get a courthouse wedding.... so why not?