Can long distance relationships really work?

My boyfriend and I have been together for 2 years and the company he works for is relocating to Dallas. We love each other very much and are willing to try the long distance thing. I have a daughter with my ex husband, so I cant move with him right away. We currently live in Baton Rouge, La which is a 6 hour drive to Dallas and about an hour flight. He will still get to come home sometimes for business and we plan to drive/fly to see each other on weekends. My boyfriend is 30 and I'm 27....he's a very sociable person who likes to go places and meet new people. There has never been any issues with cheating or anything, but we have always lived in the same town and I have never been in long distance relationship. Any advice for making this work?

My girlfriend and I were together for 2 years then she had to move 1000 miles away, for the next year and a half we did the long distance thing and it was not that hard, it was lonely sure but if you both truly love eachother then it will work out. I finally found a job where she was and moved down to alabama where i still live with her. Just keep in touch and try to see eachother as much as possible. We would fly to see eachother about every 3 months or so....which got very expensive, but 6 hour drive is alot better then a 16 hour drive...

• Yve

My now husband and I had been dating 7 months when he was transferred from Dallas to St. Paul. We had a long, long talk about it.

We'd already decided that we wanted to be together and that the transfer would be temporary as he looked for a job back in Dallas. We figured it would take about 6 months for him to be back in Dallas; instead, it took over a year.

During that time, I flew up to Minneapolis every few weeks and he flew down to Dallas once a month. We ran up phone bills of over $1000 (no internet at the time). We mailed letters, notes, and cards to each other at least three times a week.

We were both dedicated to making the long-distance relationship work. We did not equivocate. We were in a relationship, the distance was not a factor in how much we were in the relationship.

If you're both dedicated to making this relationship work, it will. However, the distance may also expose from frailties your relationship may have. Now's the time to strengthen the relationship with lots and lots of communication.

Good luck!

hey gurl nice to meet yuo... you should give it a chance. by the way u describe him he sounds worth it. . . Ive tryed doin dat long distance thingy and it works for a lil bit. bu u see eachother rite? so it'll probably work out longer =]

this will never work, you might as well start nailing other people.