Anonymous

Are you disabled but have been able to live without going on SSDI or SSI?

I never wanted to go on it myself. But last year I was desperate and I had to try for it. I know not everyone does go on SSI but I feel like it's not really a choice if you can't find a job. What do you think?

Favorite Answer

Yes, I'm disabled but I've been able to live without needing to go on SSI/SSDI because of my full-time job. I have to admit, I think I'm lucky because I notice people with the same disability as I have have a hard time finding a job thus forcing them to apply for assistance. Bit sad but that's life.

Source(s): Deafness.
  • I know many individuals who are blind like myself and a few who are disabled in some other way who are not on SSI. Most of my blind friends were only on SSI while they were in college because it was the first time they were living on their own and it wasn't practical to be handling school AND a job all at once when you're walking and taking public transportation everywhere and keeping house and doing homework and still adjusting and so on. Once they were finished with college they were able to start their chosen careers and no longer needed SSI. I know other individuals with disabilities who don't recieve SSI because they are still minors living at home and their family has too great an income. I know others who aren't receiving SSI because they are getting some other benefits from Social Security, or because they're married and their spous's income is enough, or because they are earning money in some other way such as through a home business.

I think its fine, we all do what we need to to get by. I guess you might have allot of people judge you and perhaps claim they pay your way. But if you have ever paid into the SSI fund you have contributed and I personally do not object to my own tax dollars going into such a worthy cause. I would not want to see people in need go without. I also realize the money that actually goes to helping individuals in need is just a dop in the bucket compared to the rest of government spending. Good luck!

I have never been on SSI or SSDI. I have struggled often, but just when I thought things were going to be hopeless something good has always happened.

I never wanted to have to ask for any type of assistance. Unfortunately, after I was attacked & assaulted in 2001, my life became such a mess & I ended up homeless because I could no longer work. Then I spent time in shelters & they were the driving force that helped me to file for & receive my SSDI benefits (they intended to take it once I was approved). It took almost 5 years from start to finish because I was so stubborn & I DID attempt to go back to work (in another field), but found I could not function as I once did, so I quit, rather than asking for help. I didn't know how the "system" works for help people like me . I still don't fully understand it...all I know is that if I had not received approval for my benefits...that I would not be alive to type this. I was fading fast & being hospitalized with hypothermic shock after being stuck out in the cold rain for 4 days with no food shelter or common sense got me on the right path to realizing I was just being stubborn & stupid about not accepting the help that was available to me. Apparently, once I showed a NEED that could be documented (in addtion to my previous injures)...there was a need to help me! I like to think it was a Guardian Angel who came to my rescue after I had one foot in hell & was being pulled in so many directions. I never want to be homeless again & I WISH I could find some type of employment that would pay me more than $870 a month & allow me to take frequent nap breaks & let me work at my own pace...but I don't think those types of jobs exist for a person with no college degree or formal training!

I have always been a worker who is used to giving 110%. I can't do that anymore unless I want to end up MORE disabled than I already am. So, that's why I gladly accept the SSDI benfits every month, as it allows my disabilities to have some type of a "stable" environment. If I forced myself to work...I would not be able to do so for very long & I would end up costing the system MORE money with my constant injures & calamites.

Head trauma didn't exactly do my any favors. Neither did having to live on the streets & dealing with horrid conditions & unsavory people who take take take from the people they should be helping in those "helping hand" shelters & foundations.

That's what I think. If you want the QUAILITY of your life to have some stability...take the damn money & don't feel bad about about it. The alternatives are far worse & It ends up costing the system more in the long run. That's why we pay taxes...so that when we need help...it's available!

Edit: Once a panel of doctors takes a look at your case on an individual basis, they do the right thing...it's just that so many people try to "fake" it to get the money & this makes it difficult to get approval in a decent amount of time. I could have taken the mental health path & been approved sooner, but then I would not be allowed to handle my own affairs & I am an independant person who almost died trying to preserve my independence!~

i was born without a right hand, i always had a job starting at 9 passing papers, i never even drew an unemployment check, i had to take a medical retirement at age 44 (seizures) i found out then i could have been on ssa my whole life but who wants that if you can avoid it

If you have worked and paid into the system then you have earned and deserve the benefits. I've applied and I'm waiting. There is no shame to it.

I have RA and it limits my work. I took a pay cut and work part time at an office job.