Turkey help? Frozen, brine and frying!?

Hello!

I'm not very experienced with cooking turkeys, and this is the second year we will be frying our turkey, and this year we would like to brine.

I bought the turkey (frozen) yesterday and put it in the fridge. My fridge is kept pretty cool, so things take forever to defrost.

My question is, if I take the turkey out tonight, put it in a cooler with a few ice packs, and keep it in a cool place, will it be ok to brine it tomorrow overnight and fry it on Thursday?

If it's still a little frozen while brining is that ok?

Thanks for any advice!!

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Dave C
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

How big of a turkey?

A 10 to 15 lb turkey takes about 3 days to defrost in the refrigerator.

What type of turkey?

Look on the label... to make sure the bird is not injected with a saline solution (i.e. Butterball). If it is injected, then there's no need to brine.

Slightly Frozen and brining?

Generally, you want a defrosted bird to fully brine.

If the bird is 90% defrosted and just needs a little more time, you might luck out when you wash and clean the turkey. That may be enough to defrost the bird. Also, it won't hurt to leave the cleaned bird out of the fridge for an hour while you prepare the brine.

• 1 decade ago

I read an interview with Alton Brown about brining. He said that he's started to just put a frozen turkey in to the brine for a few days and letting it thaw out that way... of course you have to keep things cool, etc etc... so if your turkey is still slightly frozen, you should be ok, but I would start the brine a little sooner.

• bossie
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

The question you may desire to have ask is HOW long WILL MY celebration DECK final.some precautions could make the adaptation installation your deep fryer ensure that your deep fryer has been qualified by ability of an permitted certification corporation. Turkey fryers might desire to basically be used outdoors and be placed a minimum of three metres from structures (alongside with garages, carports and overhangs), automobiles, and flamable factors. constantly use a turkey fryer on a point, reliable, non-flamable floor, and in no way on a wood deck or any shape that would seize hearth. place the propane gas tank and fryer so as that any wind blows the warmth of the fryer remote from the gas tank. ======================================... Cooking the turkey interior the deep fryer in no way prepare dinner a in part or completely frozen turkey! A frozen turkey might reason the oil to splatter and boil over, posing a ability possibility of hearth and burn injuries. Dry the turkey — fairly the hollow area — till now putting it interior the oil. whilst filling the pot with oil, ensure to maintain on with the producer's training and in no way overfill the turkey fryer. this might reason the oil to overflow, posing a ability possibility of ignition from the burner flame. in no way warmth the oil above 2 hundred C (392 F) and constantly use the thermometer presented with the turkey fryer to degree the oil temperature. Slowly decrease the turkey into warm oil with warning, being cautious to ward off an overflow. Use nicely-insulated oven mitts whilst touching a pot lid or handles as they might replace into rather warm, posing possible of burn injuries. in no way go away a turkey fryer unattended. youthful little ones and pets might desire to be stored remote from the section the place turkey fryers are getting used.

• 1 decade ago

Put iti int he sink will cool water. Change the water every 30-40 minutes until defrosted, then brine tomorrow.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.