I would like some useful tips on Ethics PLEASE?

I have tried to ask this question before but I didn't get any response....

Any help would be really useful please

I'm doing an AS level in Philosophy and Ethics a year early (I'm in year 11) and i was just wondering if anyone had any information/ useful tips for Ethics

The subjects we are covering on the OCR exam board are

Moral Absolutism and Moral Relativism

Natural Moral Law

Kantian Ethics

Utilitarianism

Religious Ethics- Christian Ethics

Abortion and the Right to a Child

Euthanasia and the Right to Life

Genetic Engineering and Embryo Research

War and Peace

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

1. The discussion is over whether there is only on set of morality rules versus the idea of ethics being different for each situation and culture.

2. The thought that there are rules set forth by nature (God) that rule how we are supposed to act. This relates to the question in number one.

3. Kantian ethics- gives us insight on what we OUGHT to do with out regard to the outcome of the action. That is, the outcome has no relevance as to what we ought to do.

3. Utilitarianism is the idea that we should do the things that bring the most good to the most people.

4. Christian ethics espouses the idea that we have to follow the teachings of the Bible/Jesus. It is a statement of one set of rules developed from natural moral law. See one and two above.

5.Euthanasia and right to life is about the idea that it is proper to takes ones own life opposed that we should do all we can to prolong life as long as possible no matter the suffering involved.

6. Abortion and right to life trys to decide whether the wish of the mother take priority over the right of the unborn's right to live.

I hope that gets you started.

• 1 decade ago

It has to be said that you're being a little vague.

Moral absolutism: Theological voluntarism and naturalistic theories of ethics lend themselves to absolutism. That is, if the good is defined by the will of God (even if God doesn't exist as some theological voluntarists believe) rather than God contingently doing good at all times, that would make ethics absolute. Naturalistic ethics are similar, because for example defining ethics as perfectly rationalised enlightened self-interest or in terms of virtue make ethics descriptive rather than intuitive or non-cognitivist. Act and rule utilitarianism are respectively less and more absolute, i would say.

Kantian Ethics: the only good thing is the good will. The categorical imperative is the fundamental moral principle, based on the idea that a moral act is one which is still possible if it was always done, or that people should never simply be used but treated as ends. The big flaw with it is that different descriptions of the same act would be more or less universalisable: is shoplifting to be defined as "doing whatever i can to feed my family" or "depriving a self-employed person of an income"?

Utilitarianism: Actions are right in proportion as they tend to promote the greatest happiness of the greatest number. Flaws: do the ends justify the means? Can justice be served - an unfair situation where there is more pleasure would be better than a fair one where there is less. Are there higher and lower pleasures? Can people's pleasure be compared? What if one person has greater capacity for pleasure? Should the measure be mean, median or modal?

A few things to be getting on with there but i've run out of time, sorry. Email me if you want the practical ethics side addressed.

• 1 decade ago

Kant argued that a moral action is one that is performed out of a “sense of duty.” For Kant, a moral action is not based upon feelings or pity. Nor is it is not based on the possibility of reward. Instead, a moral action is one based on a sense of “This is what I ought to do.”

Because motive is the most important factor in Kantian ethics, it is possible for an action to have negative consequences while still being a moral act. For example, if acting out of a sense of duty you attempt to save a drowning child, but in the process you accidentally drown the child, your action is still considered a moral one.

• 1 decade ago

Perhaps you got no response because your question is vague? Tips on ethics? You're studying for a class, so what do you want? Don't kill, don't lie, don't cheat, don't steal. That's a good start.

If you want a useful answer, you have to tell us what it is about Ethics you're interested in clarifying. Is there a certain situation in which you want to know what we think the ethical thing to do is? Clarify.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Well, I guess it's fine to list all of your subjects in the classes you are taking, however you don't state in your question which stand you take in any of them. It is difficult to respond if we don't know your side of the issues. Perhaps you would get better responses if you actually gave people some kind of opinion of your own.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.