Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingToddler & Preschooler · 1 decade ago

My 14 month old won't go to bed or nap without milk?

He got used to falling asleep while nursing and now he expects to go down with milk. I admit I am guilty of giving into it. I've tried giving him water and most of the time he will throw it out of the crib before I even make it out of the room :) Suggestions?

Favorite Answer

Milk is not good in bed. When the child falls asleep with it in his mouth he doesn't swallow the last bit and it sits in his mouth and on his teeth, which will cause cavities. He will learn to go to sleep with only water or nothing. It will be hard for a few days, but much better than dealing with a 2 year old at the dentis getting fillings. Good luck!

This was so my son!!! What I did is took him off the bottle, he could drink so milk from a sippy cup if he wanted to, but I just put him in his crib and left the room. The first time he cried about 5 mins then went to sleep. Now he will just whine when I leave the room then goes to sleep.

my youngest did this longer than 14 months. have you transitioned to a sippy cup yet? It may help. Only give milk in a sippy cup, spill proof of course. water in the bottle if you still use that.

You dont need to rush, be patient. I gave her milk at bedtime for ages, when i finally said enough, my husband still did it. then one day i really meant it and threw the bottles and sippys in the garbage. she had a fit for about a week, and that was the end of it. I think my hubbys fit was about the same time frame. I just told her "oh no! i can't find the sippy " Help me look", and we searched the cupboards together. lol. she got over it.

I have a 13 month old. He has a sippy cup of milk or juice available all the time. He rarely takes it to bed with him anymore. This way he is not thirsty when he goes for his nap or to bed. Mom usually gives him milk for bed time but he rarely drinks much of it. When he takes a nap with me he never needs a drink, just because he has something to drink before and after his nap.

Similar experience with my son. I started giving him milk before I put him down to sleep (not in the crib). He didn't like it at first, but I was adamant and he relented. I guess I'm just more stubborn than him :)

Now he often just takes water before he goes to bed, but more out of habit than anything else, so if he just had something to drink not long before bedtime, I'm starting to tell him no, he doesn't need water right now. Again, some resistance, but he knows I won't budge.

I had the same problem. We started adding a little water to each bottle of milk and increasing is slowly until it was all water. One of 2 things will happen. He will either get used to the water or he will start to not like the milk and not need it for comfort anymore. But the key for us was to say this was what he was getting. He may argue and say he doesn't like it anymore but you have to tell him there is nothing you can do about it. This is just how it is.

Cold turkey worked for me! You'll have a few days of fussiness, but it will quickly get better. Just have patience and know that it won't last too long.

Source(s): Went cold turkey with pacifier and bottle (but not at the same time)

break him from the bottle. if he wants a drink then use a sippy cup or train him to drink out of a plastic glass.