Do you think this would be inappropriate to ask my family regarding Christmas?

My husband has a very large family that gets together for Christmas (including aunts, uncles, and cousins, it's over 25 people) Well, we've all been buying presents for everyone for the last couple years. However, this year we just can't do it. There's just not enough money with the way the economy is and I... show more My husband has a very large family that gets together for Christmas (including aunts, uncles, and cousins, it's over 25 people) Well, we've all been buying presents for everyone for the last couple years.

However, this year we just can't do it. There's just not enough money with the way the economy is and I know money is tight for everyone else.

Do you think it would be inappropriate of me to ask if we could all just buy for the kids this year?

That way the adults don't have to spend money buying gifts for each other. After all, Christmas gifts are more for the children anyway. I enjoy getting together, reminiscing, and enjoying a meal with my family far more than any gift they could buy.