Questions about Tivo/DVR, copyright issues etc?

Why is it legal to record tv shows via tivo -- but it isn't if you download a show from the internet? At least, I'm assuming that is the case. Does tivo give royalties to major broadcasting networks.. and so it is legal or what? And are people really allowed to record tv shows via the DVR (whatever it... show more Why is it legal to record tv shows via tivo -- but it isn't if you download a show from the internet?

At least, I'm assuming that is the case. Does tivo give royalties to major broadcasting networks.. and so it is legal or what?

And are people really allowed to record tv shows via the DVR (whatever it is)..?

Aaaand if I own a season of something, am I allowed to make a digital copy of it on my computer -- as long as I don't sell/give away either? (I'm pretty sure this one is no)
Update: For the downloading from the internet part, I mean if you are to delete it promptly after watching/streaming, it would still not be allowed, correct?