Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsTiVO & DVRs · 1 decade ago

Questions about Tivo/DVR, copyright issues etc?

Why is it legal to record tv shows via tivo -- but it isn't if you download a show from the internet?

At least, I'm assuming that is the case. Does tivo give royalties to major broadcasting networks.. and so it is legal or what?

And are people really allowed to record tv shows via the DVR (whatever it is)..?

Aaaand if I own a season of something, am I allowed to make a digital copy of it on my computer -- as long as I don't sell/give away either? (I'm pretty sure this one is no)

For the downloading from the internet part, I mean if you are to delete it promptly after watching/streaming, it would still not be allowed, correct?

Favorite Answer

U.S. copyright law is a complicated mix of grey areas and isn't always consistant or logical. The answers seem to vary based on content (music vs film vs tv vs books vs software) But most of the questions you asked have clear answers.

Let me answer your questions in three parts. The Betamax Case (Sony Corp. of America v. Universal City Studios, Inc.) was a US Supreme Court decision that allows people to "time-shift" their television programming. This is why it is legal to use DVRs, VCRs, and video capture cards on your PC for time-shifting purposes. This case means that TiVo does not have to pay royalties to the networks. However, TiVo is starting to do streaming / video-on-demand which likely has a very different arrangement with the networks.

If you "own a season of something" (like on DVD) you are not allowed to make a digital copy of it on your computer. Although this may seem like Fair Use, it is trumped by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DCMA). To do so would require you to circumvent the copyright protection on the DVD thus breaking the DCMA law. If by "own a season" you mean have it stored on your TiVo, you are allowed to keep a copy on your computer because you're not circumventing copy protection and you are time-shifting for private use. If you are talking about other content (music and software) the laws are different and allow for a "fair use" backup copy.

Posting a show on the internet has not been covered by the Betamax case. It isn't really time-shifting for private use. The person who posted is clearly not acting in accordance with the laws. The website hosting the video is in a legal grey-area (still wrapped up in the courts). The person who downloads the TV show is also in a legal grey-area (law may be in place but not enforced). Unlike music or films, I haven't heard of anyone prosecuted for downloading TV shows. Now days, this is becoming less of an issue because the networks are putting most of their shows online anyways.

Tivo Issues

• finey

Why dont you turn that detest and non-compassion to love and friendship? Then it may make experience which you cloned that consumer for a reason. in fact, i examine this question after being misled that that's a query posed by 'merely Be' - a real Contributor with 58000+ and 35% superb solutions. somebody who constantly says 'Many advantages' as a signature line. It takes a on a similar time as and a powerful attempt to get there. Cloning that member's avatar could be wonderful, yet you in addition to mght used the identity call which makes one think of roughly your intentions. you are able to under no circumstances understand, yet you have brought about inconvenience or difficulty to that member using cloning his/her identity and answering or asking questions. in the experience that your intentions are sparkling, do make an apology to the member, finally end up an self reliant identity and avatar and take a examine out to head alongside in this small community by contributing your worth. I dont think of that member is something like what you pronounced. that's basically your assertion, which possibly incorrect. Kindly make amends and do good. each and all of the superb.