Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceOther - Social Science · 1 decade ago

Social Worker Question?

I am a senior in high school and I am picking a major and college (which really sucks by the way...). Any who I was wondering if I were to pick a major in Social Work what does a social worker do? And what kind of job would I have? Would my job entail walking to said persons house or would they have to come to my office?

• Dorian
    Favorite Answer

Well, on what type of social worker you want to be. Here’s the main kind and what they do (hope it helps):

There are social workers that work for CPS (Child Protective Services). They are investigators and case managers. They deal with allegations of abuse and children that have suffered from abuse and neglect. It is demanding but rewarding work and pays well in (only) a few states. This is what I do (for 7 years) in California and it pay about $60,000 a year. Most states don’t pay this well. Social workers are required to go out to homes, schools and other locations as part of their investigations and case management.

There is also APS (Adult Protective Services). They investigate allegations of abuse and neglect among the elderly, including financial abuse. Their educational requirements are the same as CPS (I listed below) and the pay is about the same. In CA their pay is the same as CPS. They also do home and other location visits.

Public school districts also have social workers. They do some counseling with children and usually help families access services in their area. Not sure about their pay, but they get summer vacations off. They do occasionally do home visits but pretty rarely, it's mostly working out of the office in your assigned school.

Hospitals also have social workers. Their job is usually to report to CPS if there are concerns (school social workers do this too) and to help families with services - such has finding respite care, helping new moms sign up for WIC and get free car seats. They usually don't have long-term involvement with a family. These social workers get paid pretty well and the don't do any type of home visits - they're strictly based out of their assigned hospital.

The military hires civilian social workers for their Family Advocacy programs. They do a little informal counseling, help military families with getting services and run programs - everything from anger management and domestic violence classes to parenting classes and social groups. Average pay, actually depends on the branch of military that hires you, Air Force pays the best. Their jobs will vary, some may require home visits but not as often as CPS (which is for every family).

Family Courts also use social workers (at least in California) as family court mediators. You meet the parents, assess where the child would be best off and then make recommendations to the judge. Once you figure out what you'd like to do, you'll be able to look up the qualifications. Very good pay (again in CA). This is a great job is you can get it. You only meet with people once and then write a report. It's all done from your office. However, most workers are required to have CPS experience or other investigation experience.

EDUCATION - For the military, hospitals, school and family court you almost always need a masters degree (MFT – Marriage and Family Therapy or MSW – Master’s of Social Work). For CPS you usually only need a bachelors degree. Your degree can be in anything as long as you have a minor in social services (at least in California).

Keep in mind (if money is an issue) that the government offers the Title IV-E program in just about every state. The program is for social work students who want to get a bachelor’s or master’s degree. You get free tuition (plus a stipend for living expenses in some cases) to get a BSW or MSW degree. Then to pay it back, you have to work in that state (wherever you went to school) for CPS for a certain number of years. It's usually three years or four. This is a great option and if you do this, choose somewhere like California or New York where CPS workers actually get paid well.

Sorry for the long answer but I hope it helped.

• richie

Social work is a discipline involving the application of social theory and research methods to study and improve the lives of people, groups, and societies. It incorporates and uses other social sciences as a means to improve the human condition and positively change society's response to chronic problems. Social work is a profession committed to the pursuit of social justice, to the enhancement of the quality of life, and to the development of the full potential of each individual, group and community in society

I am definite individuals do care approximately this however this little lady does no longer have the cash/media crusade at the back of her that the McCanns have . . . I must accept as true with Mrthing As a trainee social employee I am continually concerned with studying circumstances 'that move fallacious' as they're continually very badly suggested and all too most of the time don't replicate the truly info of the case . . . Victoria climbie is a well instance of this - her social employee was once completely scapegoated in spite of a few individuals being worried if so. She was once vilified within the media and struck off of the GSCC sign in but it was once under no circumstances suggested that she was once later reinstated whilst it transpired that managers had failed of their tasks at a better degree and he or she took the rap for matters that weren't her fault. I am no longer denying that errors are made however social paintings (in a baby safeguard atmosphere specially) is an excessively top burdened, annoying and beneath resourced activity. I disagree that youngsters are taken clear of households who've performed not anything fallacious - the procedures worried in taking away kids contain the courts and the police and this most likely can't be performed with out proof. I desire individuals might take a step again from media reporting and take a look at to have a extra balanced view of what social staff do. Also do not tar all social staff with the identical brush. It is an excessively rough activity to realise when you have no longer skilled it. you're going to become aware of that social staff are damned in the event that they do reply and damned if they do not. Its an excessively intricate balanace to strike. I paintings with individuals who most of the time don't do what is anticipated of them, a few are simply simple vain and must no longer be of their jobs. Others have caseloads of forty unusual households, no assets and no help from leadership this is a VERY rough activity, we don't get to listen to some thing approximately the thousands of individuals social wokers do aid or the volume of abuse that's avoided because it quite simply is not newsworthy. And households are satisfactory at masking matters up. most of the time occasions it's dr's nurses, wellbeing viewers and academics and so on who've a greater danger of recognizing inform story indicators of abuse as as a result of the popularity social staff have (thank you broadly to the media) we can't get via individuals's doorways to verify and determine and so are powerless to aid. The intention of social offerings is to hold households in combination besides whilst it isn't within the nice pursuits of the baby. social staff can't win and all too most of the time are judged via individuals who haven't any thought what the activity involves. there don't seem to be adequate social staff (I paintings in london) and most of the time kids deemed 'in want' must wait in line while the ones 'at hazard' are assessed however there's a quality line among want and hazard and some thing might occur, making the ones judgement calls to preserve a baby isn't whatever that's performed flippantly. I consider mrthing is most likely correct, seem on the issues with social paintings on a politcal and wider societal quandary as a substitute than an man or woman social employee in an man or woman case.