Why do we bother to try and cover up the harm in factory farming?

Have you read this Y!A story? http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/personal-finance/article/forbes/907/whats-really-in-your-fast-food I'm not sure how this is "new news". Apparently, nitrogen isotopic signatures were found in meat products which is consistent with environments where animals are raised in extreme... show more Have you read this Y!A story?

http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/personal-fin...

I'm not sure how this is "new news". Apparently, nitrogen isotopic signatures were found in meat products which is consistent with environments where animals are raised in extreme confinement, consuming their own waste.

This news story speaks of factory farming, like, it's some inhumane revelation that has been kept under wraps until now.

In these instances, I always find it funny that either "comment is declined" or responsibility is evaded: generalities are cited about concerns for animal welfare or alternative (false) explanations are offered for findings that function to detract from what is reality.

Why it is that we try and cover up the reality of factory farming? Is this simply a guise for the continuance of greed and its' ends?
Update: BTW: I'm not a vegan or vegetarian. I put the Q in this section under the assumption that perhaps those who have decided to not eat meat or animal products would be able to offer some informed answers.
Update 2: Thanx, Shélah :-). What you've written about estrogen is interesting. And, I have heard of this, but, as far as I know, today, birth control pills contain *synthetic* estrogen. I'm wondering if you could share any peer-reviewed, empircal evidence that may back up what you say about birth control pills?
Update 3: Thanx, Tink :-). For me, personally? I object to BC pills on, I guess feminist grounds? LOL. I don't think the onus of BC should fall on the woman. Where I live, this is, I want to say, an expectation that is held by many men. The reality is, there are heavy side effects that accompany the use of OC's. Too... show more Thanx, Tink :-). For me, personally? I object to BC pills on, I guess feminist grounds? LOL. I don't think the onus of BC should fall on the woman. Where I live, this is, I want to say, an expectation that is held by many men. The reality is, there are heavy side effects that accompany the use of OC's. Too often, this is minimized; oral contraceptives are seen as a candy to prevent pregnancy. They are, indeed a drug.
Update 4: Thanx nathan b :-): I very much swing to the "left" on everything. Live and let live, to each their own, yatta, yatta. I don't judge and think individuality in everything is important, so would never expect anyone to adopt my view. But, it is my observation that some (not all, of course)... show more Thanx nathan b :-): I very much swing to the "left" on everything. Live and let live, to each their own, yatta, yatta. I don't judge and think individuality in everything is important, so would never expect anyone to adopt my view. But, it is my observation that some (not all, of course) vegetarian/vegan's view their food choice as one that should be universal. Having said that, I also know that greed supersedes, at least, "humane treatment" concerns of animals in factory farms.
Update 5: BTW: any pesky thumbs-down are not from me ;-).
Update 6: Thanx, mdGreg C: I think factory farming IS what it is. But, when works like this are referenced or stories are fed to the public about reality, responsibility always seems to be evaded and passed off, addressed to someone else and again, to someone else. Facts are typically exaggerated to be less than OR more than... show more Thanx, mdGreg C: I think factory farming IS what it is. But, when works like this are referenced or stories are fed to the public about reality, responsibility always seems to be evaded and passed off, addressed to someone else and again, to someone else. Facts are typically exaggerated to be less than OR more than what they are. Sensationalism on one end and diminutive efforts on the other. That bugs me. What we don't own doesn't define us, type of thing. I guess, regarding our ignorant bliss to do with factory farming, perhaps, it does make us feel better about what we know is disgusting...
Update 7: ...disgusting, but necessary to make more money.
Update 8: mdGreg C: Yeah. That sums it up :-).
Update 9: Shélah, thanx so much for your edit! :-) :-). Wow. Wasn't expecting all that!!
Update 10: Josh O: Good points. I think most (?) people in this forum are from the US. Not me, though.