d b asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

I Started zoloft and klonopin(both generic) 3 weeks ago for severe anxiety/panic.?

I started off at 25mg on the zoloft and .50 of klonopin in the morning and 1mg at bedtime. No real side effects. week later bumped to 50mg on the zoloft and kept klonopin same. No real side effects, occasional anixiety,but nothing real bad. This past Sat. went up to 75mg on the zoloft,but had quit taking the klonopin in the morning for I was feeling better. Now today, the 3rd day of 75mg, had pretty bad anxiety attack, took 1mg of klomopin and laid in bed. I know 75mg is not that high of a dose, and may not be enough to stop anxiety/panic. But can't help to wonder what was the cause? Stopping the afternoon klonopin, or the higher dosage of zoloft. Doc wants me at 100mg of zoloft and trying slowly to get there. But after today not sure what to do. Any suggestions

Also have been having mild head-aches while on these drugs

Favorite Answer

Hello DB,

Sounds like you have been taking your Zoloft for the last 3 weeks to a month? Well first of all like any anti depressant, they can take 4 to 6 weeks to fully kick in, so you having an anxiety attack is not unusual. Now the Klonopin is usually a as needed drug, you are taking it as you should be. I have suffered from severe anxiety disorder from the time I was 7 and I am now 23. One thing I have learned from the years that I have dealt with this disorder is sometimes the first drug and dosage you try is not always the right one for you. I had to try several different meds before I found d the one that completely alleviated my attacks and the anxiety, I now take 40 mg of Paxil and it works wonders for me! If I were you I would give the Zoloft a bit more time, and just take the Klonipin as needed, as for your headaches, those are common side effects for both of the meds you are taking so I wouldn't worry about them unless they start getting in the way of you having a good day, and they become too much too handle. I really hope this helps you hun, and I am so sorry to hear that you are having to deal with these attack, they are so scary, but it sound like you are well on your way to having a better quality of life and I am so happy for you. I wish you the very best and good luck.

Source(s): 12 years experience with sever anxiety disorder and psychology major.

They are ramping you up really quickly. I was told that Zoloft can cause some anxiety for the first few days you are getting used to it. I'm gradually increasing to 50 mg now from 25 (non-therapeutic). They took over a month at the low dose, before I was allowed to ramp up to 50. I am still at 1 and 1/2 25 mg pills. I take Xanax about once a week as a back up if I have an attack. Clearly, I am less severe than you, but I really think it might be this effect - getting used to it, like I tried to describe.

I've been on Zoloft (generic) for a few months and I'm only taking 50mg and that seems to help. As for the klonopin in my opinion you should keep taking that if it is helping or try talking to your docter about taking a more fast acting anti anxiety so you can stop the attack as you feel it coming on. I am on the generic xanax and is kick in in less than 15 mins. I take .5 mg every night before I go to bed and it helps me alot.

About the headaches I had them about the first month and then they started to taper off. I figured they were symptoms of depression rather than side effects of the meds.

• Donna

I have read some litterature about panic attacks. But they allways seem to have a more scientific approach and that is nothing I need in my struggle to survive those horrible panic attacks. This is a "hand on" and very practical book. I felt it was written to me. I am sure that you are going to feel the same.

Joe Barry writes exactly how I think. The examples are perfectly described. And the method is genius. I recommend this book and thanks Joe Barry for writing it. It changes your life