teenage life in south africa?

well im 17 and moving back to south africa from england in a few weeks. i lived there as a child but i want to know how its changed because im completely different now. u can talk about anything like what teens do in their spare time , how nice are they...

and im a boy btw

this is not my profile i forgot my ones password this is my mums

Favorite Answer

I'm assuming you're white, so I'm going to talk about the Afrikaners(white south africans).

They're Really friendly people in general(teens included). They really do adhere quite strongly to their culture, which you'll find to have English and Dutch Elements in it, which will make it easier for you to relate. The young people are just like young people everywhere..listen to pretty much the same music, wear the same clothes.They're a quite laid back bunch of people, very adventurous(into their skateboarding, all kinds of watersports-especially surfing, football, hiking, travelling), in love with African Nature, and love their country to bits.

Their accent is kinda hard to understand at first, but you'll find yourself speaking just like them in no time. Food is pretty much the same as in England, with the exception of some traditional Afrikaans/South African dishes. It's quite spicy, and based mostly on beef and chicken. People young and old will love a good BRaai! That's a barbecue, and nobody does it better than South Africans! I've found that their food tastes a lot better in general. Everything from milk, bread, beef, fruits-especially! Of course they have their maaany fast food outlets, a lot of things to do.Shopping centers are usually quite huge, with a lot of amazing stuff inside. They do everything in American dimensions-everything bigger and better! Be sure to check out Centurion City if you're in the Cape Town Area!

Young people will usually hang out at their local shopping centers, at home with their family or , with their friends. It's a pretty button down way of life, but it keeps you safe. As you get older, heading towards 17 or so, you can start going out, but Never pulling an all nighter. That's not a good idea in South Africa till you're in university!

And then

The reason why I'm talking about White Afrikaners to you is because you're white, and seldom will you establish friendships with anyone outside of your race in South Africa. It's not impossible, but it's extremely rare. Even Today. Young people like you at 17, will openly admit to not having any friends of asian/indian/black/coloured(mixed race). Be wary of what you say, to anyone about Race, because tensions are still Extremely High in regards to that.

Crime! As well. Do your best to never stay out late in areas that you don't know, or even your own neighborhood. Gun crime in south africa is at its peak, and it's best to move around in the day time, and if you do move around at night, stay in a well lit public area, make sure that you drive through all red lights. Areas like Pretoria, Johannesburg, Durban, and Capetown are known for carjacking fatalities,pickpockets, stabbing..all big metropolitan areas-be EXTREMELY cautious!

Johannesburg is the next greatest city in Africa, with more than 3 million people contacting this vibrant city house and if you intend to visit this extraordinary town then this hotelbye is the spot to start. Johannesburg presents visitors an event as unique and diverse as the town itself. Whether you are on business, searching for a cultural encounter, an adrenaline run or simply just want to curl up and rest for some times, the city of Johannesburg has everything you are searching for and more! In Johannesburg you are able to visit the Soweto (an abbreviation for South-western Townships) at 20 kilometres southwest of Johannesburg. This place offers guests a trip into the soul of the struggle for flexibility and the birthplace of the struggle for democracy.

• Mr D

Teens in South Africa live pretty much as they would say in America.

South African Teens are probably more conservative that say british teens.

One can go to clubs at night, house parties.

School, you will have to start wearing a formal school uniform and teachers have a lot more power in South African schools. You can join a school sports team.

With a name like Jacqueline life's gonna be tough for you wherever you go.

In regards to South Africa, if Lindsay could do it, you can do it.

I'd probably stay in England if I had the chance though.

Blacks are advanacing.

And every year,100,000 Black people enter the middle class.

Not too shabby!!!!!!!!!

Well I'm American, but I've heard the land and animals are beautiful, and so is the African culture.