What are three reason you are against/for euthanasia (physician assisted suicide)?

Why are you for a doctor help kill a patient because of pain/suffering

• John S
    Favorite Answer

Against it. But.. having said that.. people have freewill..therefore if someone is in pain.. they can make the decision of their own freewill to end their life. Just like in any suicide. However, I don't think a physician or anyone for that matter should help them. NOR do I think government should step in and make this a RIGHT of anyone. Whether or not they do it.. should be COMPLETELY up to them.. and by COMPLETELY.. I mean.. no law protecting it.. or allowing certain people to assist.

Here are my reasons....

1) I'll start with the least rational and easiest to dismiss.. ya ready..

"We're not God" - we shouldn't play God, shouldn't suppose he made a mistake, shouldn't willingly end the life of a human he created...that's his job, not ours. We should respect our place in life. EVEN if it means "allowing" someone to endure pain when we COULD just over dose them with Morphine. May sound like a sucky attitude...but it is merely knowning ones place in life and not over stepping your boundaries. So categorically.. we simply CAN'T

2) Principle Alone -- Principles don't get mentioned much.. but we SHOULD give them more prominence. We have a principle that it is wrong to take a life, except in self-defense. On this principle alone, so long as the terminally ill don't attack us, we shouldn't end their life. Simple as that.

3) Principle that Life is special -- We generally uphold life as "special" as "important" as "significant". Life is necessary to carry on the species. Life is important because it impacts others..changes the environment, teaches others, etc. etc. etc. (Think of the Movie "It's a Wonderful Life") Euthansia seems to counter this by making life "convenient" As if to say "Gee..this pain is so excruciating that life is no longer convenient or good...so I'm just gonna kill myself." OR it makes life a "burden" to oneself, family, and society, as in: "Keeping me alive is costing my family thousands a month and I'm not contributing to society..so I guess I should kill myself" Euthanasia seems to go against the idea of "saving a life at all costs"

IF society TRULY believes that lives are worth saving.. then Euthanasia is at least a contradictory principle.

4) Euthanasia supposes to know the future - Euthanasia is the killer of all hope. It supposes 2 things - there is no chance of getting better..so why live. AND .. there is NO benefit to your continual existence to society so why not kill yourself. BOTH conclusions are unavoidable because IF either one was untrue..THEN there would be a reason to not kill the person. Therefore, euthanasia presupposes knowledge which no one has. Again.. on it seems to violate the isea that life is good and has intrinsic value..because it says that the persons' condition, as horrible as it is.. can't possibly server ANY purpose and is therefore extinguishable.

Euthanasia ALSO seems to dissolve the glue between individuals in society..making us less important or significant overall. If you think about it.. IF the patient was important..then we wouldn't allow him or her to die..so euthanasia reinforces the idea that "Society doesn't really need you..so you can go and die and no one will really even notice" -- which is a sad principle to teach everyone, including our children.

I could go on and on..but as you see.. the same points keep popping up. Either life has "intrinsic value" and therefore, by principle alone should be protected, even when suffering OR life has nearly zero intrinsic value and therefore if you aren't actively contributing or enjoying yourself.... by all means.. do everyoen a favor and kill yourself.

I fail to see how Euthanasia can mean anything else..when you get down to it. EVEN if you claim you are 'ending suffering' -- that may be noble, but the principles you violate and the results of your actions.. are too grave to be condoned.

Even saying this.. I'm sure some will opt to commit suicide. I just don't think society should teach this as OK or protect it via law or allow people in the medical field to prescribe lethal doses of morphine or sedatives, etc. etc. If it happens.. which it does, it should be looked at as sad and unfortunate..but not "good for him..for ending his suffering and his families 'burden' "

I'm all for it!

1) People should have the right to decide over their own lives and their own bodies, as long as they don't hurt anybody else! And in this case they don't.

2) We already give other species euthanasia, so why would we refuse assisting our fellow human beings who ask for it?! If a dog suffers, we put it down. If a human being who is terminally ill suffers, we force them to KEEP suffering?! How does that make sense?!? It is completely inhumane in my opinion!!

3) People who are going to die deserve a worthy death with as little pain as possible. And if death is already inevitable for them, what difference would it make to keep them alive for a few more weeks and/or months if they are already terminally ill, and they wish to take the easy way out?

Also it would save society money and resources. Besides, it is unfair that SOME patients will be able to commit suicide on their own, whereas others, who are stuck in a wheel chair for instance, will often NOT have that opportunity! Equal rights for all!!

Though of course I am virulently opposed to people deciding for others whether or not they should have euthanasia. Everybody should be able to decide for themselves, nothing less, nothing more!

..So that's my take on it, basically.

I currently live in a country with euthanasia. I think it's a good thing for terminally ill people who CHOOSE IT THEMSELVES.

In this country the request is submitted to a board of three doctors who do not know the patient and therefore have no attachment to the case. If they decide the case meets the requirements under the law. The person is then able to have euthanasia.

If you don't REQUEST euthanasia it is NOT offered.

When all you have is misery and pain, with no hope of ever recovering, you should be able to ask to die. MY OPINION.

I am not asking YOU TO JOIN ME IN THAT in that OPINION.

Physician assisted suicide and euthanasia are two separate things. In the first, the patient takes or causes their death of their own volition, and in the second, the doctor does it.

I support physician-assisted suicide in cases of chronic and excruciating pain or some other physical cause that makes the persons life torture. I do not support it when it is likely that the desire to end life is caused by depression.

I support Euthanasia in Terri Schiavo situations only.

I only have one reason.

When a person is so ill that they are not going to recover, and they are looking at nothing but horrible, torturous pain and losing their bodily functions so that they need someone to wipe their butts for them (which is a very humiliating emotional pain for a lot of terminal patients), I believe that it is THEIR life, and that they have the right to decide whether they want to go through that or not on their way to death.

Any doctor who is willing to put himself in the position to agree to spare such a person the terrible suffering they would go through, just to die in the end anyway, I think must be a very compassionate person. This is also someone who believes that human beings have the right to determine the time of their own death when necessary.

I know that if I was a doctor and my loved one was in such horrible pain and suffering and was just going to die anyway, and they begged me to please end it for them, I would. I would do it in the most compassionate way possible, and I would hold them in my arms and give them all the love I could while they died.

I believe that a doctor's role is to benefit the patient (while safeguarding the general public safety of course) not simply the prolongation of the patients life. If a patient is doomed for his remaining life to suffering then it is incumbent on the doctor to relieve the suffering if the patient wishes.

I believe that if the person cannot be saved then it is better to let them die on their own. To ask a doctor to make that decision is unfair. The reason I say that is because you never know what could happen. there are people who have almost miraculously came out of the most dire places.

I think that people and families should make that choice, but not ask a doctor to do it. It puts that doctor in bad situation. ( I'm pre-med)

Against:

1. There's not enough guarantee that the patient actually wished to end his/her life. Such a decision made under the duress of pain and suffering cannot be trusted as the patient's true wishes.

2. Too tempting for unethical doctors to "fake" the consent.

3. Goes against the doctor's oath to actually preserve life.

• Erica

Against:

1.) The patient who is to make the decision may not be thinking clearly because of their disease and/or the pain.

2.) It leaves too much space open for MD's to legally commit murder without proper consent. (As is commonplace in most of the countries where it is legal)

3.) Another case of man trying to play God.

• estele

i'm enthusiastic approximately it! a million) people might desire to have the main appropriate to choose over their own lives and their own bodies, as long as they do no longer injury anybody else! And consequently they do no longer. 2) We already provide different species euthanasia, so why might we refuse helping our fellow people who ask for it?! If a canines suffers, we placed it down. If someone who's terminally sick suffers, we stress them to maintain suffering?! How does that make experience?!? it is thoroughly inhumane for my area!! 3) people who're going to die deserve a worth dying with as little soreness as available. And if dying is already inevitable for them, what distinction might it make to maintain them alive for some extra weeks and/or months in the event that they are already terminally sick, and that they desire to take the hassle-free way out? additionally it would save society money and substances. besides, it is arbitrary that some sufferers could have the skill to devote suicide on their own, while others, who're caught in a wheel chair case in point, will normally no longer have that possibility! equivalent rights for all!! nonetheless for sure i'm virulently adverse to people determining for others no rely if or no longer they might desire to have euthanasia. all people might desire to have the skill to choose for themselves, no longer something much less, no longer something extra! ..so because it is my tackle it, quite.