Christian point of view...Is physician assisted suicide wrong?

Why do you think so. Please fully explain why or why not

Is it euthanasia wrong

Best Answer

Where would you draw the line? Would you say the same thing about young people who are physically or mentally disabled, or those who apparently have no future—prisoners under a life sentence, for example, or people with an incurable cancer or a disease like AIDS? Once a society starts down this road, the potential for evil and abuse is enormous.

But the real issue is much deeper than this. The Bible tells us that human life is sacred; God gave it to us, and only God can take it away. You and I aren't simply a higher form of animal; we were created in the image of God. God gave us a spirit or soul that will live forever—and this makes all the difference. The Bible says, "God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them" (Genesis 1:27).

This is why we must never destroy any life casually (from the unborn to the old). Life is precious, even when it nears its end on this earth. It is so precious that God sent His only Son into the world to open heaven's door for us by His death on the cross. The Bible says, "For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" (Romans 6:23).

My prayer is that you won't only reexamine your views on this issue, but that you will reexamine your own life and realize your need of Christ. He alone can give us peace and hope, even in the midst of life's most difficult situations.

I've never seen this as being acceptable. The doctor is supposed to save life, not destroy it. But, lately as destroying the lives of the unborn is more common place, destroying the lives of the sick has become the next logical step.

Let's say that someone was being tortured in an excruciating manner for an unbearably long period of time, is suicide an option? Perhaps. But if it were in this situation, why wouldn't it be all right in the medically assisted context if the patient were also in excruciating pain for long periods of time? Quite honestly, I'm not sure how to answer that one.

Both of those are wrong. The Bible stated pretty clearly that suicide is an easy ticket to hell. Euthanasia is also wrong because disabled people are not supposed to be killed. God created them for a reason. If God wanted them to die, they would cease to live in an instant! People should have to role in deciding. That is God's task.

• Anne

Such a hard question.

I'd say that any time anyone ends a life before God intends, it is sin. So from a theological standpoint, I'd say that yes, its wrong. You never know what God has in store. People in vegetative comas that doctors say have no hope of waking up do. People with incurable cancer, suddenly get better.

On the other hand, my dad has cancer and I've seen the extreme pain he's endured. I wouldn't judge him if he decided to end it before his body naturally gives out.

I don't think it should legal, but I don't think people who end their own lives go to hell. Every sin except rejecting God is forgivable.

I would normally say suicide is wrong, however. There comes a point where the suffering is enough and people have their breaking point. I do not think a loving God would punish those suffering becuase they can't handle any more pain.

In Singapore recently, the debate on euthanasia is hot.

I personally believe that dying people would rather have loved ones near them, care for them to the very end, assure them, than to ask to die.

Asking to die is a sign of helplessness, resignation and rejection.

Source(s): I am Christian, in Singapore.

It would be a sin ( murder of yourself, even with help ) that you cannot be forgiven for because you won't be around to ask.

Kp