Are Malay and Indonesian the same language?

Obviously, the main reason for their separation is political - Malaysia and Indonesia are two entirely separate, sovereign countries. However, politics and patriotism aside, just how close are these two languages? I don't speak either language, but to the untrained eye they both look structurally the same. And... show more Obviously, the main reason for their separation is political - Malaysia and Indonesia are two entirely separate, sovereign countries. However, politics and patriotism aside, just how close are these two languages?

I don't speak either language, but to the untrained eye they both look structurally the same. And as a test, I took the main page of Wikipedia in Malay and translated it in Google Translation, just using the "Indonesian to English" option, and it translated it pretty much perfectly, yet technically I was entering Malay in to the box, and not Indonesian.

It's clear that both languages of a certain amount of vocabulary which is either different in both languages, or present in both languages but has different meanings. However, American and British English are like this, the majority of the words in AE and BE are the same, but there's still plenty of words and terms that are different, or mean different things in the same languages. I am British, and native in British English, yet aside from these difference with American English, I consider AE to be entirely the same language and I can understand them perfectly.

Are Malay and Indonesian the same?