Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

What do YOU believe happens to someone if they commit suicide?

Please provide a scripture to back up your interpretation and what religion you are. Or if you can't provide that and you give a spiritual answer or just your opinion give a little bit of detail as to why you feel that way.

Well I love all the realists who are hanging out in the Religion & Spirituality section of yahoo answers. I find a lot of people who feel the person burns in firey flames forever etc. remarks have NO scripture to back them up. Except for the Muslims who have a scripture in the Holy Quran. I asked this question because my mother and grandfather commited suicide. My mother was christian, attended and volunteered at church and repented her sins. However I was told and made fun of by other children that my mother was burning in hell forever. Well now I see there is no backing to this, it's all opinion, the bible doesn't flat out say ANYWHERE that if you commit suicide you go to hell.

Favorite Answer

It is my belief that what happens to anyone (who dies) from suicide will be in exactly the same as anyone else who dies.

Where we think the are, where they go will be no different than anyone else.

When you ask for scriptures to back up our opinion, then I'm afraid I can give none.

This is my opinion.

Ask yourself, why if there is a God, would he want to banish someone to eternal Hellfire, when they have suffered so much pain and desolation, despair and isolation, would He want them to suffer more?

I think not!

We none of us no for sure.

But why would anyone want people who have suffered so, to go on suffering for eternity ?

I tried to kill myself just over 2 years ago.

At that time, I did not expect to be "here" anymore.

Because I could not bear the pain anymore.

What I am trying to explain to you is, we do not decide to die lightly.

For me, I had tried hard not to take (what I thought) would be my final act.

I tried hard to carry on. Then we come to a point when that pain becomes so overpowering, we cannot bear it, we see no way forwards, we are locked into that place where all we see is darkness, although we struggle to search, we cannot find that light..

I see that your grandfather and you mother "died from suicide".

We must not take it upon ourselves to judge them..

I do not know the circumstances of your grandfathers death so I cannot comment.

I have read and also given an "answer" on here concering your mothers death.

I found that the evidence you put forward about your mothers case gave strenght and implication to support your thoughts that perhaps she did not take her own life.

But, even if she did "die from suicide" keep this thought within your heart".

She had tried hard to carry on, but the pain she was suffering became to much for her to bear.

She would not have left you if she could find a way to resolve her situation..

I only feel a strong empathy for you my friend..

My son died from susicide on 15/02/2003

I was helping him to to get access to Mental Health Services.

We had become good friends.

It appears that the wait for help from this Service was just too long, also the medication both approved, and the sugessted increace of this medication, without any thoughts of supervising how this would impact on his condition, would be a defining factor, influence on his death.

My son hung himself by a short rope, in a loney, difficult to access beauty spot.

Do you think I would expect to burn in Hell because of this..

Of course not.

He too was suffering from from the pain and desperation of depression.

I KNOW he is not "burning in Hell"..

He was such a beautiful caring young man...

So why would I (we) even think that people who die from suicide would have to go on, to suffer more.

It is my belief that people who have sufferd so much, will be "nursed back to health", given more love and care" because of their suffering here.

I am sure that your mother is now being cared for..

She will be in the place where we all will go..

If you are a religious person, then look for scriptures that give you a sence of reolution for your needs..

We can all read so much into the words we read..

It is really up to our own thoughts and belives.

That will guide us my friend...

I would just ask you to consider..

Why would a loving, caring God, what to inflict more suffering????

Source(s): LIFE AND LOSS

It really depends. If one takes their life and are not saved then they will be judged not only for this but for their lifes sins. Taking your life can be seen as murder but it is not as bad as murdering someone else. God does not want men to do this because He cares for them. In the Scriptures there were times when people killed themselves and I dont think God disgraced it. For instance Samson sinned and then got caught by his enemies sin his power left him that was from God. He then had his eyes popped out and was tied up in a dungeon. His enemies were all having a party above him in the building that He was under. He asked God just give me back my strength one more time as he was repentant. God honored this and gave him his strenght. Samson pulled down the pillars that he was tied to and killed all his enemies. So Samson knew he wouldnt get out and wanted vengeance for God and so did a good thing. But this is a different type then the latter.

I am a Muslim and believe in holy Quran which is a continuation of Bible.

In Islam suicide is considered a grave sin because it reflects a disbelief in God.

God Almighty is very Kind and Loving and is a great listener of prayers. People who commit suicide refuse to accept His mercy and show their hopelessness in Him. Therefore, they will be punished in the hereinafter.

Holy prophet Muhammad has said, anyone who commits suicide, by falling from a mountain, will always be falling from a mountain and whoever kills himself by a knife, will keep killing him by a knife and so on.

So if any of your friends or relations ever think of suicide, tell them about this rule.

and u ignorant people who said they die well duhhh u dummys

Source(s): from a muslim lady

Several of my relatives committed suicide, including my father. Dad's life was a wreck. I was still in school when he died, and some people thought they'd comfort me by informing me that he's now burning in Hell. His life was already hellish enough, in my opinion. It is my hope that he has been shown a better way, or is at least resting in peace. I am a Roman Catholic. What I personally believe about suicide probably doesn't line up with Church dogma, but so be it. When suicide happens in your family as much as it's happened in mine, you don't derive much comfort or spiritual insight from the "all suicides go to Hell" line, and start examining other options.

• BK

The criteria for eternal life is who you say that Jesus is...accepting him as Savior (John 3:16)

Saved people can be depressed or mentally ill etc. and commit suicide. That doesn't mean they are going to hell.

God judges each person, but suicide does not automatically mean hell, but it is the last thing God would ever want anyone to do.

Muhammad Javed Iqbal

Question: "What is the Christian view of suicide? What does the Bible say about suicide?"

Answer: According to the Bible, whether a person commits suicide is not what determines whether he or she gains entrance into heaven. If an unsaved person commits suicide, he or she has done nothing but “expedite” his or her journey to the lake of fire. However, the person who committed suicide will ultimately be in hell for rejecting salvation through Christ, not because he or she committed suicide. The Bible mentions five specific people who committed suicide: Abimelech (Judges 9:54), Saul (1 Samuel 31:4), Saul's armor-bearer (1 Samuel 31:4-6), Ahithophel (2 Samuel 17:23), Zimri (1 Kings 16:18), and Judas (Matthew 27:5). All of them were wicked, evil, sinful men (not enough is said regarding Saul's armor-bearer to make a judgment as to his character). Some consider Samson an instance of suicide (Judges 16:26-31), but Samson's goal was to kill the Philistines, not himself. The Bible views suicide as equal to murder – that’s what it is – self-murder. God is the One who is to decide when and how a person should die. To take that power into your own hands, according to the Bible, is blasphemy to God.

What does the Bible say about a Christian who commits suicide? I do not believe that a Christian who commits suicide will lose salvation and go to hell. The Bible teaches that from the moment a person truly believes in Christ, he or she is eternally secure (John 3:16). According to the Bible, Christians can know beyond any doubt that they possess eternal life no matter what happens. “These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you may continue to believe in the name of the Son of God” (1 John 5:13). Nothing can separate a Christian from God’s love! “For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord” (Romans 8:38-39). If no “created thing” can separate a Christian from God’s love, and even a Christian who commits suicide is a “created thing,” then not even suicide can separate him from God’s love. Jesus died for all of our sins...and if a true Christian were to, in a time of spiritual attack and weakness, commit suicide - that would be a sin that Jesus died for.

This is not to say that suicide is not a serious sin against God. According to the Bible, suicide is murder; it is always wrong. I would have serious doubts about the genuineness of faith of anyone who claimed to be a Christian yet committed suicide. There is no circumstance that can justify someone, especially a Christian, taking his or her own life. Christians are called to live their lives for God – the decision on when to die is God’s and God’s alone. Perhaps a good way to illustrate suicide for a Christian would be from the Book of Esther. The Persians had a law that anyone who came before the king uninvited could be put to death unless the king extended his scepter towards the person - indicating mercy. Suicide for a Christian would be forcing your way in to see the King instead of waiting for Him to summon you. He will point His scepter towards you, sparing your eternal life, but that does not mean He is happy with you. Although it is not describing suicide, the Bible verse 1 Corinthians 3:15 is probably a good description of what happens to a Christian who commits suicide: “He himself will be saved, but only as one escaping through the flames.”

Nothing! They are dead!

Dead id dead!

The thing is?, that those who are left behind have so many questions!

And, they will never have any answers!

People who kill themselves are often very depressed, and in that frame of mind?, you will do almost anything to make it go away!

I am an atheist, and I don't believe in heaven or hell, anymore! When I did believe?, I felt the same way about this subject!

They are not responsible for what they do!!

Source(s): free thinker
  • Nani

As far as going to hell for breaking the ten commandments, as was suggested, I think we have all broken the ten commandments. This is why Jesus paid the price of dying for our sins. We can't judge who is saved or not saved when someone commits suicide. God knows where they were mentally, emotionally and spiritually. We only must remember He is just and fair. He is mercy and grace. He is love.

We have discussed this for a long time the bible says thou shalt not kill, to kill is a sin even killing yourself. Now the bible also says if you repent God forgives us, however, how can you repent once your dead.

Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own, you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body (1 Corinthians 6:19-20).