How do I plan a backpacking trip?

I'd like to organize a backpacking trip, going to Hostels or cheap hotels across Europe or the US....only thing is I don't really know where to start and I need some helpful advice to give me some momentum.

FOR ALL YOU PEOPLE OUT THERE WHO HAVE PERSONALLY GONE BACKPACKING BETWEEN 1-12 WEEKS:

-How did you organize the trip? By yourself or through a travel agency? How did you get from place to place?

-What did you pack in your bag? What kind of bag or suitcase did you use? Did you ever wash clothes, or did you buy new clothes or what?

-How much money did you bring? Did you take credit cards? Did you lose your money, and if so what did you do? How 'bout passports?

-Did you have any problems with foreign foods? Were people friendly? Where were people most friendly? Where would you go back to? Where would you not go back?

-What would be a good trip in your opinion? I have already been to italy and spain (on classic trips, not backpacking) so I was wondering about other destinations as well

-And any other interesting things or experiences that I can't think of but that I might want to know before going backpacking!

TO EVERYBODY WHO TAKES THE TIME TO ANSWER THIS:

THANK YOU SO SO MUCH, I REALLY APPRECIATE IT, YOU HAVE NO IDEA!!!

Favorite Answer

In my day we just went. We didn't plan a great deal. I'm an aging hippie and I did a lot of backpacking. We got from place to place mostly by hitchhiking, but I wouldn't recommend that method to anyone today. Use buses or other forms of public transportation.

It sounds like what you are talking about is a trip alone, but with minimal luggage, and staying at inexpensive places. You need to decide where you want to go. We don't know where you are now, so it is hard to figure a starting point, but decide how much time you can devote to a trip, and go from there. I am familiar with the US and Canada in terms of backpacking, and anywhere in either of those countries would be interesting. But they are both very large countries, so you might need to narrow your focus a little. The Atlantic seaboard is beautiful from spring to fall, so that might be one option. I also found the Blue Hills amazing, and also New Mexico and Texas.

A sturdy backpack with many pockets would be my choice. Secret hidden compartments for money, credit card, and passport would be ideal. I've included links to two companies who make good ones. You need a few changes of clothes suitable to the area and season, extra socks and underwear, an easy care outfit for a semi-dressy occasion in case you get invited to someone's house or something like that, a towel and face cloth, a few toiletries, a good flashlight, a swiss army knife, a hat with a brim, rain gear, good shoes, and a good canteen for water. As you travel you'll pick up snacks to keep with you along the way. You need a basic first aid kit and a sewing kit.

Here are a few sites to get you started.

it depended on the trip. Some trips I get really involved with and plan lots, others I just want to see what happens - both have been brilliant ways of planning backpacking trips.

There are lots of useful sites to help you plan, such as http://www.thetravellerslounge.co.uk/planning/ where you can estimate how much money you'll need, print off a packing list and check hostel and rail pass prices.

If you go to Europe, western Europe is classic city to city backpacking but can be expensive, Eastern Europe is getting popular and not so busy and is really cheap. If you have lots of money go to Scandanavia for something different.

Enjoy.