Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceOther - Social Science · 1 decade ago

Should we put an end to "adolescence"?

I was reading an article about the repercussions of adopting an "adolescent period" to childhood. The parts that stood out to me are:

First, there was a marketing report that promoted a redefinition of the “youth” market to include 25-34 year-olds. What was notable was marketers own definition of “youth”: "Contemporary youth should now be defined as 'the absence of functional and/or emotional maturity,' reflecting the fact that accepting traditional responsibilities such as mortgages, children and developing a strong sense of self-identity/perspective is occurring later and later in life.” Is a culture that creates the climate where adolescent 34-year-olds exist, a good thing?

Secondly, there was a report on college-age students who feel a sense of entitlement on receiving high grades in return for modest effort including consistent attendance in classes and simply reading course texts. These students appear to consider educational institutions as service providers that exist to serve their roles as consumers.

So, should teenagers (around 14 or 15) take on more adult responsibilities? I know some have more responsibility than most (I was one of them), but I'm talking in general.

(Here's the link to the story: http://www.crosswalk.com/blogs/Liebelt/11595655/)

Favorite Answer

hey thanks for that, it was interesting and i shall follow the link.

briefly, i think childhood (and i include part of adolescence) these days is too short as children mature physically so early but not psychologically. responsibility is important, yes, but the right kind of responsibilty - but that's another story!!~!