Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDental · 1 decade ago

Will i need my tooth pulled (cavity)?

Hi, I noticed my tooth bothering me lately - I looked at it and there is definitely a prominent black cavity there. I've only had 2 small cavities my whole life (30yrs old). This tooth really doesn't hurt but, It lets me know it's there sometimes...and i know eventually it will start hurting more.

Do you think I will have to get it pulled or will the dentist probably just fill it? I don't have any insurance so I might not go for awhile...at least until I get some more money or insurance.

I DON'T want to lose this tooth of course - even though it's a molar.

Thanks!

Favorite Answer

I am not a dentist or anything, but unfortunately I do have experience with cavities. I highly doubt your tooth will need to be pulled. It will most likely just need a filling. Worst case if it's a very bad cavity it could need a root canal, but from what you are describing it sounds like it's just a cavity and you need to have it filled. Good luck!

Don't put it off, even if you don't have insurance. It might cost a couple of hundred dollars to fill a cavity, but a root canal will cost closer to $1000. If you get it filled sooner rather than later, you can avoid the additional pain and expense. Also, if you let it go too long, you may find yourself in excruciating pain one day. Then there is a good chance you may need a root canal.

Go to your dentist and see if he/she can work with you regarding payment if that is a concern. I had a dentist who did not charge me as much for paying cash as they normally bill the insurance company. You might also find one willing to take monthly payments.

Good luck!

I don't think you'll need to get the tooth pulled. Teeth are usually only pulled if they're falling apart or severely infected. The worst that I think may happen would be the need for a root canal if you don't get to a dentist soon enough.