Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

How does the first PCS work?

My wife is going active duty army while I'm reserve. Now wherever she is stationed, I will obviously go there as well. But when she gets orders to her first duty station, do I have to wait for her to in-process at her duty station before I can be there with her? Or do I fly to her first duty station with her? How does this all work???

4 Answers

  • Mrsjvb
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    you won't fly at all unless he gets overseas orders. (unless you pay for it)

    you can choose whichever is best for your situation: have her report and you follow afterwards, or have her come home and you drive to the duty station together. It will depend on what her RNLT date is, how much travel time she is allocated and how much leave she has/wants to burn.

  • NWIP
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

    The only way you would be flown to the first station is if you do not have a vehicle or driver's license or if it is an overseas location. If it is drivable then you drive yourself.

    Whether you go there at the time will depend on where she is going. Sometimes it is better because she can file for housing immediately and maybe come home to help you drive back. If she goes to an Overseas Location then you will need to stay behind because you have to undergo an overseas screening first and her orders need to be changed to accompanied.

    The first PCS is done by the military contrary to what someone else said. If it is accompanied orders then it means the military will pay for movers to come to your house, pick up your belongings and move them to the new station. You would also get Per Diem and MALT if driving and DLA (Dislocation Allowance). They will most likely not pay it though until you have done the travel and submitted the receipts. The only time it wouldn't be paid for nor would you qualify for DLA is if she has unaccompanied orders to a place like Korea. If you wish to go there you would have to pay for it all yourself.

  • 1 decade ago

    ok, usually whenever she gets stationed there... thats when she will have to go talk to transportation and get set up to move your household goods - dont listen to the first answer - they will pay for transportation to move you if your married! if your going to drive... u can drive whenever... she should get some extra money and everything, also she should get 10 days tdy - i say should cause it dont always happen... well they will explain everything to your wife once she gets to her duty station.... good luck...

    Source(s): army wife
  • 1 decade ago

    The very 1ST duty station you are on your own. as the army does not have to give her PTDY. Nor do they have to pay for shipment for house hold goods. that is only on a true PCS and going from basic to station is not a true PCS, because basic is classes as a TDY and not a duty station.

    if you have the time and know where she is going... i would suggest you show up early and find a house. her orders have no relivance. just let your COC know you are leaving and will be drilling somewhere else. that and it gives you time to look around and get things ready.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.