Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anyone else dealing with a crazy Mother In Law!?

I am expecting a little girl in a few months and my mother in law has told me over the phone that her daddy doesn't want anything to do with her! Which is totally not true-this was a planned pregnancy and he loves her to death just like I do. I talked to him about it and he said don't worry about it, and that it isn't true. We are young, but are very capable of having a daughter at this stage in our lives. The only thing I can think of is that she is afraid she will lose him even more now that he has a little girl on the way as he is an only child and was adopted. It just is making me not want her in my little girl's life at all. And the thing is, when she is around me or us she must be extremely fake! Because then she is catty on the phone. She lives about an hour away from us..its not like this is a fresh idea, I'm in my seventh month of pregnancy, and like I said we were trying so we found out right away that we were expecting and told everyone right away! What do you think??

Wow-it looks like we all have crazy MILs!!!

This is our first child (both of us) and only due to pregnancy complications I've had, so hopefully she will get used to the idea and love her as much as we do!

Favorite Answer

just ignore the crazy woman. she is probably jealous because she couldn't have kids of her own. tell her to grow up and accept life and to stop acting like a stupid b***h.

P.S. My mother in law is totally awesome.

Ugh, mother in laws, some people are blessed with great ones, but for the rest of us.... Not so much... My mother in law already didn't like me because I stole her one and only child and "little boy" from her. When we told her that we were going to be having a baby she got upset and said that I should've been more careful and this wouldn't have happened. (This was totally planned too.) She's been nothing but harsh to me the whole time we've been married, and now that I'm pregnant it's worse. Just the other day I saw her and she said to me, "Well, I bet that after you have this kid, you'll start practicing safe sex so you won't get knocked up again huh?" =/ She's also trying to bully me into naming our child what she wants. *sigh* Some people just take pleasure in being rude and thoughtless.

Ugh, mother in laws, some people are blessed with great ones, but for the rest of us.... Not so much...

My mother in law already didn't like me because I stole her one and only child and "little boy" from her. When we told her that we were going to be having a baby she got upset and said that I should've been more careful and this wouldn't have happened. (This was totally planned too.) She's been nothing but harsh to me the whole time we've been married, and now that I'm pregnant it's worse. Just the other day I saw her and she said to me, "Well, I bet that after you have this kid, you'll start practicing safe sex so you won't get knocked up again huh?"

=/

She's also trying to bully me into naming our child what she wants.

*sigh*

Some people just take pleasure in being rude and thoughtless.

• I am also dealing with a stupid mother in law

At the beginning of my pregnancy when she found out she told me to just to get an abortion and leave it as a bad memory!!

I was living with her at the time and she kicked me out, and told me that I was ruining her sons life, Now she wants a part in my babys life but I dont want anything to do with her.

I just have to suck it up though because it would hurt my husband really bad if I were to be harsh towards her

Ugh I cant stand her!!!

I feel for you!

Good Luck and congratulations!

Source(s): 33 weeks pregnant with a little girl

I'm dealing with a nut myself. When I told his mom I was pregnant she acted like she was my best friend but planned an abortion for me. Then two weeks ago came to our house, pushed me through the door and started to choke me. When my husband told her we were having a boy, she said "that's if he is born alive".

Don't feel so bad, at least yours is an hour away. Mine is 5 minutes away. It is causing a strain in our relationship because I don't want her in my child's life after she attacked me. He claims that she's always been that way and is insane and I should get over it. For now I'm trying to relax, but when this baby comes I know she will be a huge problem.

Good luck.

Try your best to ignore her. I know it's hard, she sounds a lot like my mother, but trust me it's not worth it. Even though there will be times you will want to strangle her, try to remember that you are probably right about her being afraid. Think of how much you already love your daughter and now think about having her leave. Try to put yourself in your MIL's place. I'm not condoning what she said. That is totally wrong to say. It helps to set boundaries with your MIL. Make sure she understands that you want her to be a part of her new granddaughter's life, but if she keeps being ugly make sure she knows you wont accept that behavior. And stick to your guns. If she starts being really mean and just stirs things up, stop talking to her. But make sure you talk to your husband first. Try for now to just focus on preparing for your new baby.

Dear, the idea of a crazy mother in law is certainly not a new one. I believe it is an age old theme that we ALL go through. Unfortunately, it is something that we have to learn to deal with and work with our husbands to try to figure out the best way to deal with. I have been dealing with my crazy (she actually is schizo) mother in law for many years, and trust me, that can get quite interesting.

My best advice is to play nice, and play fair. Do not stoop to her level. Tell her like it is though. Is she says one thing that you know is not true, simply say, You know your son loves this baby, and then walk away. Don't stay around to engage her in these conversations. If it is on the phone, don't speak to her, make your husband answer all calls from her. It is his mother, that is his job to shield the phone calls. The way we do it is, I deal with my family and he deals with his. If we get tired of it that way, we tell each other we are going to switch up for awhile. But that is made clear to each other in advance.

The main thing is, You and Hubby are a team. You, Hubby and baby are a family unit. The two of you have to do everything you can to protect that family unit even if it means alienating either sets of parents. When you marry, God is uniting man and woman to become one flesh, and you are moving away from your family of origin to do so. If his mother is not ready for that, then send her to counseling, because that is too bad for her, she has no right to mess up your family!

Source(s): Experience with the crazies

I have a crazy one too! My husband told her we were having a baby and the first thing she said is, "Are you financially ready?" She did not say congratulations or anything....still to this day has not congratulated us. She did not look the least bit happy that we are going to be bringing her grandchild into this world. It hurt my feelings but I just had to step back and look at who it was coming from. Me and my husband are thrilled and really that is all that matters. Try not to let her get to you. She probably is nervous that she will lose him, but you and him are happy so it doesn't matter what she thinks. She will come around. Good Luck :D

• My ex's mom was like that.....but the bad thing about it was that he was a total mama's boy. I mean he couldn't make a decision on his own without consulting her, it was horrible. We never had kids or anything..and I made sure that didn't happen...but, when it comes to the (ex..future) mother in law, I can relate. One day she decided to plot this whole scheme and turned against me when her son confronted me....it was just ridiculous... After I realized that this woman really wasn't trying to be my friend I sort of detached myself from her. It's sort of like I didn't want anything to do with her... But things like that never work I guess because you have to face them during the holidays anyways..right... I guess in your case you're going to have to find find a common ground. If i were you I wouldn't develop a personal relationship with her.. I would just say hey and goodbye whenever necessary, and just engage in petty talk, and not get into conversations that reveal personal intimate details.

....I truly, ..and I mean this from the bottom of my heart, am so sorry that you have to put up with this...I'm just so glad that my mother in law now is the complete opposite.

• mcally

When my MIL found I was pregnant with my first child, she ran out an got a face lift and a boob job. She said she wanted to be a sexy granny. Ever since then it is like she wants to be 18 again.

My mom in law is a tool as well. When i became pregnant the first time we were 17. she was ok with it, then when i miscarried. about 18 months later we were married, not knowing i was prego again. When we told her, she said she would believe it when she seen it. Once i started showing, she planned this extravagant baby shower, only thing is when it came time to pay for it she made my hubby pay for it. 2 yrs later i became pregnant with our youngest. she is fair skinned like me with brown hair and blue eyes. Oldest one looks just like me too, same features, as youngest. Well they said and still say she isn't my hubby's baby. They are hispanic. I am white. They treat her different to this day. she is now 6. they totally accept the oldest. My hubby says just ignore them. Doesn't he realize that it hurts when they say that, SHe is his. good luck i hope it gets better for you