Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Once when a guy i know was attending communion at a church they gave him crackers and grape juice.Is that ok?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It wouldn't fly at my church, but I've attended some Fundamentalist services where they did that. Their version of Communion involved grape juice (instead of real wine) and tiny oyster crackers instead of homemade bread or Communion wafers. They also served the grape juice in tiny individual cups instead of using a communal chalice that everyone drinks from. Different churches observe Communion in different ways.

• 1 decade ago

Some denominations have rules about what must be used for Holy Communion. In fact, those are man-made rules. It doesn't matter whether it's crackers and grape juice or some sort of bread and wine. What does matter is the recipient's understanding of what Holy Communion is all about.

• 1 decade ago

Why would it not be okay?

Churches observe communion in many different ways. The Catholics have hosts and wine; Orthodox have bread and wine given by a spoon to the worshiper; Many protestants use small crackers and juice.

The power of communion rests in God, not in the elements of the observance.

• 5 years ago

I know the Church of Christ uses grape juice for communion instead of wine like in a Catholic Mass. Unfortunately its no Grape Koolaid though.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Grape juice is good but I like a little cheese on my crackers.

• That is basically how we do it. I think it is the intent that counts. In addition I know many Christians who are former alcoholics. using real wine would likely be a bad idea for them.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It's okay, during communion, the crackers and juice magically transform into Jesus meat and blood. Yuck, I know, but it's Transubstantiation, and it's real magic.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Well, its not very accurate. Some people are bound and determined that Jesus never drank alcohol because some old-timey people think that it's the "Devil's drink". Fact is, Jesus turned water into wine, so I think he's a supporter.

• mw
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Well.......

It's not really much more then that to begin with

Holy Wafer Holy cracker

What's the difference

It's the meaning of it that is supposed to be important

• 1 decade ago

Of course. (It is the "Rememberence of Him" and not the crackers and juice that is important.) I absolutely love 'welches'!!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.