Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Once when a guy i know was attending communion at a church they gave him crackers and grape juice.Is that ok?

Favorite Answer

It wouldn't fly at my church, but I've attended some Fundamentalist services where they did that. Their version of Communion involved grape juice (instead of real wine) and tiny oyster crackers instead of homemade bread or Communion wafers. They also served the grape juice in tiny individual cups instead of using a communal chalice that everyone drinks from. Different churches observe Communion in different ways.

Some denominations have rules about what must be used for Holy Communion. In fact, those are man-made rules. It doesn't matter whether it's crackers and grape juice or some sort of bread and wine. What does matter is the recipient's understanding of what Holy Communion is all about.

Why would it not be okay?

Churches observe communion in many different ways. The Catholics have hosts and wine; Orthodox have bread and wine given by a spoon to the worshiper; Many protestants use small crackers and juice.

The power of communion rests in God, not in the elements of the observance.

I know the Church of Christ uses grape juice for communion instead of wine like in a Catholic Mass. Unfortunately its no Grape Koolaid though.

Grape juice is good but I like a little cheese on my crackers.

• That is basically how we do it. I think it is the intent that counts. In addition I know many Christians who are former alcoholics. using real wine would likely be a bad idea for them.

It's okay, during communion, the crackers and juice magically transform into Jesus meat and blood. Yuck, I know, but it's Transubstantiation, and it's real magic.

Well, its not very accurate. Some people are bound and determined that Jesus never drank alcohol because some old-timey people think that it's the "Devil's drink". Fact is, Jesus turned water into wine, so I think he's a supporter.

• mw

Well.......

It's not really much more then that to begin with

Holy Wafer Holy cracker

What's the difference

It's the meaning of it that is supposed to be important

Of course. (It is the "Rememberence of Him" and not the crackers and juice that is important.) I absolutely love 'welches'!!