Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

what are the responsibilities of citizens in protecting the rise and the spread of racism?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Good question. I think that every person has a responsibility to educate themselves, their friends and family. History has shown that diversity in education is poison to extreme racism and intolerance. I say extreme because everyone stereotypes and judges, especially when under pressure. It is a defense mechanism and won't and shouldn't ever be completely eliminated. Our goal is to stop our judgements from clouding our intelligence and letting stereotypes turn into racism.

How can we educate ourselves though? Reading and taking classes is only the most surface ways to learn about other cultures, religions and countries different than your own. Most important is making friends and being around those who are different and this requires stepping out of our comfort zones, perhaps even out of our countries. It is much easier to be a racist when you stay in the same community your entire life than when you travel or make friends with people different than you.

*whoops* my mistake I misread your question and thought you were asking how to eliminate racism not spread it. good luck with your hatred if that's the kind of life you want to lead.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

As long as Affirmative Action is the law of the land, and people take advantage of that in hiring and scholarship, there will be racism. The old saying that "Fighting to end war is like f##king to end love" comes to mind.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You got to be ******* kidding right?

A great number of ignorant white people just elected a half black President. Racism is officially dead in the USA for good.

If I hear another person tell me, face to face... on the street about racism ever again in this country, I am going to do a little bit of street counseling.

Once again...........racism is officially dead. What a terrible question you asked.

• 1 decade ago

I personally believe that the single biggest impact people can have is by what they teach their own children at home about respect, tolerance, acceptance and diversity.

If you birth children you owe it to them to instill some values in them. If everyone did, then the world would be a better place with the rise of the next generation.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

There's too much racism, even citizens themselves can be racists. We can't do anything about it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.