Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHomework Help · 1 decade ago

responsibility in the outsiders?

hi i was wondering if anyone could give me examples of responsibility through out the book the outsiders by S.E Hinton....A.S.A.P...

thnx

sophie

Update:

i mean responsibility as in....the three curtis's have no parents...there fore they are very responible...and i was hoping more for examples of responsibility in the book...like specific scenes

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The most obvious is Darry's responsibility to Soda and Ponyboy. Then Dallas feels responsible for Johnny. Johnny feels responsible for the kids in the church fire. There are three examples...

• 1 decade ago

Darry (Darrel Curtis) a tough-looking Greaser who was thrown into parenting at the age of 21, changes greatly throughout the course of the novel. Darry could have had a well-paying job, and an excellent life, though he gave all that up by quitting school to be the guardian of his two brothers. At the age of 21, he was given the responsibility of taking care of his brothers, a task he had never undertaken before.

• 1 decade ago

ok here are a few

Darry has assumed the responsibility of guardianship for Pony and Soda, and under that pressure he has aged beyond his years. He no longer views the two boys as siblings but as a responsibility.

Pony believes he is being responsible by working at the gas station and helping his family. He also believes he is responsible for Soda dropping out of school.

The three Curtis brothers feel they have the responsibilty to work together to have the power to save their family. Three greasers working together save the lives of children trapped by fire. And the three rings on the fist of a Soc change Johnny’s life forever, and ultimately lead to three deaths: Bob’s, Johnny’s, and Dally’s. So in retrospect he feels responsible for that.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Haven't read the book in a while but this is what I got from Wikipedia:

Randy

Randy Anderson is Bob's friend, who is tired of the fighting between the Greasers and the Socs. He is the only person shown to voluntarily not participate in the rumble.

Bit busy but I'm sure this will help, good luck on your assignment ;)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

darry being responsible for ponyboy and soda

• 1 decade ago

idk but that was a really good book. definately my favorite. i guess they had to responsibility of lookin out for each other. but i don't really get what you're asking.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.