Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

whats the average age that a toddler moves from the crib to toddler bed?

my daughter is 18 months old and still is in the crib.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • yorkie
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

my son got his bed for his 3rd birthday.

• 1 decade ago

Each child is really different. My first child was in a toddler bed and out of her crib at 24 months. She did great. Her sister will turn 3 in a month and shows no interest in getting out of her crib. The biggest indicator is if they try to crawl out of the crib on their own, then you have a safety hazard and need to get them into a toddler bed. Get a toddler bed and put it in her room to see if she is interested. If not don't push her. Their is no hurry. Unless you need the crib for another baby on the way.

• 1 decade ago

The only thing that's a must is once the child starts trying to climb out of the crib, you pretty much HAVE to move them out for safety reasons (though some would suggest getting a crib tent).

Other wise, it's pretty much up to you, or anything else that dictates that baby needs to be moved out of the crib.

For us, with DS #1, after an illness, he was sleeping in our room for a while. Once it was time to return to the crib... it just was NOT going to happen (he basically protested way too much). So we replaced the crib with a mattress on the floor at less than 18 months, and he took to it right away.

For DS#2... well we only just got him out of his crib to make room for #3 due soon. He's almost 2-1/2, and we have not had any issues with him trying to climb out. He likely would have stayed in there for another year if we didn't have to move him out to make room.

So the point is that is all just depends upon YOUR situation with the child in question.

BTW, I would recommend against bothering with the expense of a toddler bed. Just go ahead and buy a twin bed and move them strait from crib to twin bed. If they are still very young when the transition occurs, then like in my example, just start with only the mattress on the floor. That way, they won't hurt themselves when they fall out of the bed. I would also suggest against bed rails. Lots of bed-rail designs are considered hazardous (you have to ensure it is a physical impossibility for the rail to push away from the bed such that the child could fall and get stuck/suffocate between the bed and the rail). Instead, just let them fall out of bed, and somehow, they just naturally learn not to fall out of bed. In the case of DS#1, he fell out maybe 3 times before he learned, and so far DS#2 has fallen out of his new bed once the 1st night he was in it, and hasn't since.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

about 2 years old or when they are able to climb out of their crib on there own

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

anywhere from 18 months to 2 yrs old

• 1 decade ago

2-3 yrs.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.