Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

My brother just got incarcerated ?

Into St.Cloud Minnesota state prison, was wondering if anyone knows what the prison is like if its a really bad prison if i should worry. Please let me know what you've heard about this particular prison. PLEASE!! THANKS!

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Hello Amanda. Your brother is at what is called a reception center. This is a close./max rated prison that all offenders are sent to for 6 to 8 weeks for classification purposes.

The type of offense committed, the age, priors, physical size and past history of violence are taken into consideration during this time. At the end of the classification process, he will have an administrative transfer to what is called his parent institution, where he will then serve out the remainder of his sentence.

Classification means you are in a cell for any amount of time you are not working on the classification process, going to recreation or commissary. There is little "free" time for the inmates and they don't wander around like they will in a parent institution, so from that aspect it is safer.

I hope this helps and you can find it useful

Source(s): 20 years as a Corrections Officer in a max prison
  • 1 decade ago

St. Cloud is the first place anyone sentenced in Minnesota goes to prison. They keep the person there for around a month, then the person gets shipped off to one of the other prisons in Minnesota. St. Cloud is used to see how the person is going to react to prison life, and to see which prison they need to go to.

Here is a link to the St. Cloud prison website:

http://www.doc.state.mn.us/facilities/stcloud.htm

• 1 decade ago

All prisons are bad. If it is a penitentiary, it is particularly bad. Rape is common in prisons.

• Liz
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

if its maximum security then theres no reason to worry. inmates stay in their own indiviual cell for 23 hours a day to come out for 1 hour by themselves to bathe.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.