Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Are we getting dumber?

As a whole, is society getting dumber? I hear about advances in technology and science all the time, but every time I turn on the TV, all I see are "entertainment" shows and music that seem to cater to unintelligent, non-thinking individuals. 150 years ago, people read for entertainment, analyzed their own thoughts, and thought before they spoke. Today, the world seems saturated with reality shows, celebrities famous for being famous, people proud of acting like jacka$$es, dumbed down music, and people who try desperately to emulate celebrities' actions, thoughts, and fashions. So are we getting dumber? And if so, are we doomed?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Well, not all of us but yes a good amount of people, including the moron above me, are getting dumber. Our founding fathers were eloquent speakers who had the intelligence and foresight to draft a constitution for the prosperity of our country with the thoughts and resources the had available. To say these people were not independent thinker but only superstitious and lead solely by religion is a testament to the ignorance of the world. This country flourished because of a community of independent thinkers.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes, but not just because of what you site.

For years, politicians have insisted on "leveling the playing field" which has resulted in what some call "the dumbing down of America". Add the influence of Oprah and other pop icons who glorified ghetto culture and vilified traditional values and you have a population ready to be herded like sheep into the so-called "New World Order".

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.