Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

More than one God in Genesis?

Genesis 3:22

And the LORD God said, "The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever."

God says "one of us" - who is "us"?

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, the Elohim is a plural. In ancient Semetic culture, the Jews (ancestors of the Jews more properly) were polytheistic. That is, EL (Note: israEL) was the chief God of the Pantheon of Gods (kinda like Zeus).

The monotheistic impression is more recent (670BC).

EDIT: Give me all the thumbs down that you want - the historical fact remains that YHWH and Judaism and consequentially Christianity and Islam, are all derived from an initial polytheistic background. Its called evolution, get used to it.

• 1 decade ago

The earth was created by the Son, Jehovah, under the direction of the Father, Elohim. God the Father his son Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost are three separate individuals.

Look at Matthew 3:16 & 17. How could the voice of God be heard, the spirit descend and Jesus come out of the water if the aren't 3 individuals?

Source(s): Amos 3:7 says he reveals his secrets to his servants the prophets. God continues to give revelation to his children.
  • 1 decade ago

Okay first of all, this first makes God sound like a selfish villain or something. I just want to say that I was turned off by this the first time I read it and you might be too. But it's really that God is too glorious for us to even get near, so I hope this doesn't stumble you. :]

For your question, God also said, "Let us create man in our image." And that just shows that the presence of the Trinity. Jesus, or "The Word," was there and God the Father was there. I'm not sure but I think the holy Spirit of God was there as well.

Hope this helped! :D

Source(s): me
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It's a plural of majesty. Kind of like the Queen of England's famous, "We are not amused.". And no, it's not a reflection of early Jewish polytheism. Even form-critical scholars say the Genesis creation narrative was written at the same time as the so-called P section of the Pentateuch. And P is absolutely monotheistic. For those of us who believe that Moses was the author/source of the Pentateuch, the argument is even stronger. 5 seconds thought should tell you that the fiercely monotheist Jews would not have written an inherently polytheistic text.

peace

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I always thought it was more proof that the Bible was re-written and that references to a female goddess were taken out. That would explain the whole created in our image...Male and Female issue.

We know they went through the Bible to decide what Books would be included, it's likely they did some editing at around the same time.

• ;)
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

*US* is Father , Son, and Holy Spirit/Ghost.

All three were present in the beginning (creating).

Jesus was God manifest in human form.

God sent His Spirit at Pentecost Acts2...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You will find it clearly written in the Amplified bible in brackets -Father , Son, and Holy Spirit : )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He Man -

what a wonderful selection of holy scripture - especially John 17:5 ''And now Father glorify Me along with yourself, and restore Me to such majesty and honor in Your presence as i had with You before the world existed'' AMP

Source(s): www.biblegateway.com Amplified version
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.

Source(s): John 17:4-6 4I have brought you glory on earth by completing the work you gave me to do. 5And now, Father, glorify me in your presence with the glory I had with you before the world began. Proverbs 9:22-36 22 "The LORD brought me forth as the first of his works, [b] , [c] before his deeds of old; 23 I was appointed [d] from eternity, from the beginning, before the world began. 24 When there were no oceans, I was given birth, when there were no springs abounding with water; 25 before the mountains were settled in place, before the hills, I was given birth, 26 before he made the earth or its fields or any of the dust of the world. 27 I was there when he set the heavens in place, when he marked out the horizon on the face of the deep, 28 when he established the clouds above and fixed securely the fountains of the deep, 29 when he gave the sea its boundary so the waters would not overstep his command, and when he marked out the foundations of the earth. 30 Then I was the craftsman at his side. I was filled with delight day after day, rejoicing always in his presence, 31 rejoicing in his whole world and delighting in mankind. 32 "Now then, my sons, listen to me; blessed are those who keep my ways. 33 Listen to my instruction and be wise; do not ignore it. 34 Blessed is the man who listens to me, watching daily at my doors, waiting at my doorway. 35 For whoever finds me finds life and receives favor from the LORD. 36 But whoever fails to find me harms himself; all who hate me love death."
  • 1 decade ago

He is talking to the rest of the Trinity, Jesus and the Holy Spirit

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

According to the bible, man was created in "our image".

Can't be the trinity concept because that was not invented until over 300 years AFTER Jesus, supposedly, died. see Council of Nicea.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Misinterpretation of the Hebrew language?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.