Is the 1972 song "Will the Circle Be Unbroken" by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band and Rory Emerald a gospel hymn?

Favorite Answer

I have heard it by the Carter Family. It is a very popular Gospel hymn. I can't find the version by Rory Emerald. I am a big fan of Rory Emerald so I will keep looking.

**Edit** Thanks Jim T - I should have known- Rory Emerald is so versatile.

• Jim T

The words of the song are heavily gospel influenced. The Dirt Band's version was gospel/country style. Rory Emerald recorded a rap version.

Well, sort of. It talks about your family circle, and what happens when they all meet in the afterlife. By the way, Johnny Cash and June Carter, with the Carter Family did the song a long time ago.

"Will the Circle Be Unbroken" like the songs "Why Me", " Uncloudy Day" , "In The Garden" , "Keep On The Sunnyside" were cross over songs.They were both Gospel and Country.All have been used in churches and are used as spiritul songs on country radio.