Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 decade ago

Why is it so hard (emotionally) to visit relatives in the nursing home frequently?

Update:

this is not a grandmother

this is my mom who has a brain injury :-(

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I've worked in nursing homes and i get emotional quite a bit with patients and im not even related to them so i can say its completely normal to feel like that. It's a hard thing to see a love one in a state where they cannot do much for themselves. you have to just think of it this way, they are in a place where they are getting the best care, and continuous care. It's important for family and friends to visit their loved ones in a nursing home because it brightens the person's spirit and helps them live out the rest of their lives happily and knowing that their family didnt abandon them. i know it will be hard, but trust me it will make you stronger and happier in the long run, that you spent time with them.

take care!

im so sorry to hear that. but know your mom is in a good place now with people to care for here in ways that you and your family may not. and she will love every minute you spend their with her, and you will get to know your mom in a new way, and you can talk to her about anything and everything. it must be very hard, but it will be worth every minute you get to see her. trust me.

Source(s): personal experience
  • 1 decade ago

I would say it's because you don't enjoy seeing someone in a vulnerable, weaker state. When people grow old, they lose their physical and mental abilities, which is also hard on you to experience in seeing this happen to them, because you're used to the grandma that was able to bake cookies for you and chase you around the house or carry you around... it's just upsetting to realize that they can't be there for you in that same way. it's just difficult to go through, though, common.. but you need to enjoy the time with them that you have; people change, and you sometimes have to adapt to their change.. take advantage of their presence!

Source(s): personal experience.
  • Erica
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Could be a number of things 1.) The scene of so many sick people, many of whom are nearing the end of their lives. 2.) Guilt for having to put a loved one in the nursing home. 3.) Empathy for those there who have no family/visitors...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.