what features should a good chainsaw have?

im thinking to buy one soon..unsure of pros and cons of electric v petrol or what to look for...any help appreciated eg chainspeed/power output size/weight etc etc

Favorite Answer

Depends on what you are going to use it for. If for trimming tree limbs and smaller stuff, you can get by on an electric saw. However, if you plan on heavier usage, such as cutting logs or cutting down trees, you should go with the gas saw.

Stihl is the premium saw on the market for durability and a lot of people love theirs. I personally prefer a Husqvarna 350 or so. It has an 18" blade and cuts extremely well as long as the chain is kept sharpened, as with all chain saws. It does take a fuel mix as it is a two stroke. It is heavy enough to take down larger trees (I have cut up to 24" or so in diameter, and also logs about that size and smaller for firewood size cuts). Husqvarna is a well known name in saws and othr power equipment. Efficient, easy to start, and easy to run.

Both Stihl and Husqvarna cost about the same. I paid a little over $325 about three years ago. A Stihl was about $350 for the same size.

There are others on the market. Your wordage indicates you may be from UK ("petrol" rather than gas). I don't know the availability of Sears Craftsman saws in UK, but I would stay away from them. They are fine for light trimming, but they don't cut large stuff worth diddly. Stihl and Husqvarna are sold around the world.

• Hondu

Pay heed to Ozark bum's advice. The only thing I'd like to add is if you go out of the electric/toy chainsaw range (electrics are limited by the length of a drop cord), and plan to do some serious cutting, don't settle for a smaller saw just because it is less money.

Well it should fit on your arm, and it should also be able to quickly, and effectively dismember zombies.

Source(s): Evil Dead