promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

What do you think should be done for the automakers' bailout?

Like what should be included? And what restrictions should be placed on the automakers?

And the all-important question...should it happen?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It should happen.

The Big 3 and automotive suppliers (who also supply foreign automakers) directly employ millions of Americans. If those jobs go away the US will become a service economy and import even more than we do today. Then there will be 3+ million unemployed people who will be supported by the government which is supported by taxes which is supported by employed people and companies. People without jobs don't buy things so those companies will also suffer.

The current top management should step down (no golden parachutes) and the UAW contracts should be torn up. Upper management is part of the reason this problem exists so its reasonable to get rid of them. The UAW has to go because its just wrong that some guy screwing in a bolt with nothing more than a high school diploma makes more money than the people who went to college to design the cars.

Source(s): I work for a supplier and if the Big 3 go under so does my company. I work with GM, Nissan, and Honda.
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Instead of giving the money to the automakers the govt. should give the billions to the consumer to all buy new cars, giving a huge shot in the arm to the big three. The money would be available only to purchase a new American made car, no foreign cars allowed. Wishful thinking?

• ArmBar
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

1. I think that if we loan them the Money it needs to be secured with the company's assets- (including inventory)

2. Fire 2/3 of the upper and mid level management-

3. Kick out the UAW

If they default Govt takes the inventory to cover the loan and give the vehicles to the Postal Service, Forest Service, Dept of energy ect... to relieve the burden on the tax payer

• 1 decade ago

Can't say because they wont tell us. 25 billion is a BS number. They're failing because they've been so badly mismanaged and I don't see them doing anything different in the immediate future.

BUT, I have to support some kind of bailout. I live in Michigan and it means everything to us.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I think the CEOs and workers need to make some big concessions before the government gets involved. They have had a blank check way too long on both sides.

• 1 decade ago

Nothing. The free money train has to stop. The Ford family alone has enough personal money to have that company survive the hard times. Use it.

• 1 decade ago

Let them go through the same tough, bloody revamping the Airlines went through. They failed to keep up with their competition by building more fuel efficient cars and stuck with the SUV's.

Burn baby, burn.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i'm not sure about the details. but we have to do it because 3 million jobs are at stake.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I am reminded when American Motors went belly up....WHAT? You don't remember American Motors?? ..................SEE?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.