In your opinion, would E.M.Forster, Oscar Wilde or Walt Whitman support gay marriage?

I know that many historians dislike revisionism, but I often wonder what particular icons of the past would think about how we live in the present. For example, E.M. Forster and Oscar Wilde were prolific authors who wrote about same-gender love, particularly between men. Though it has never been fully determined and Whitman -- himself -- never admitted to this, the wonderful poet and humanist is said to have been a uranian or, at the very least, bisexual. So, what do you think? Would they support the modern-day gay rights or gays'-rights-to-marriage movement?

Favorite Answer

What Whitman celebrated the love between men in some of his poetry--just so you know. Read the Calamus poems ("Live Oak With Moss")

And yeah, they would most likely support gay marriage, considering they were all homosexuals. But I'm not sure if they would -really- put themselves out there and fight for it tooth-and-nail. However they certainly wouldn't be against it--if only because it gives them more material to write about.

Like everyone above me for the most part, I support it. People have their own sexual preferences that they can't control. And besides, marriage only changes things if you let it. Gays are already together, why the heck can't they get married? If two people love each other it doesn't matter what anyone thinks, they have a right to be married. I personally am not big on the idea of marriage itself but I am not against it in any way. Whether it's a guy and a women, two guys, two women, whatever. They should all have equal rights.

i think they would either support it or stay out of it and focus on their art. i think if they got involved politically they would never be against it. but theres no real way to know is there.