potty training a boy?

he is 2 1/2. i am having a hard time. please tell me how you did it and how long it takes for him to want to use potty on his own.

Favorite Answer

Go on Youtube and look up the "Elmo potty song", it's a little odd, but my son loves it! I think it helps him to see baby Elmo going potty just like him and that it's a normal thing to do, instead of mom and dad telling him yet another thing to do! I started training him at about 25 months, and we are done with the baby potty and we are on to the big potty with a stool so he can do it himself and that took a couple months. Just today he went all by himself from turning on the light to getting undressed all the way to undies back on (he doesn't bother with pants!!)!So from the start of training to todays' big success it took about 5 months!! I'm not saying this is what you should expect, but this is just my personal experience. I found it frustrating in the beginning, but now I understand that this is a very profound time in his life and that I just need to chill. I am very proud of him though! 2 1/2 years old and almost potty trained! Almost...

Good Luck with everything! One thing that totally helps is no pull-ups during the day. Just use regular undies. It also helps if you can be home for a week just for consistency. Try and hang out in a neutral area in the house so you can keep a really close eye on him. And try not to scold him for accidents, when he stars peeing in his undies just say, "Yeah, it's peepee time, lets run to the potty!!" Try not to worry, it doesn't and shouldn't happen overnight.

I have tried the potty training thing already with my son and no such luck. I have heard from many other mothers just to wait until he is ready. My sister in law has a 2 1/2 year old that refuses to go and I have a friend that has a 9 month old that is fully potty trained. It all depends on when the child is ready. You can't force a child to do something he is not ready for and when you do start potty training be consistent and don't give up and to be fully potty trained takes at least 8 months with no accidents. Good luck!!

I had much trouble with my son and potty training. First I thought that I would reward him with a Smartie for every time he produced on the potty. In order to get him to produce, I figured I'd get him first thing in the morning (y'know, the morning pee) and then he wouldn't be able to hold it, he'd pee and get a Smartie and then get the idea. Well, turns out that he can hold it while sitting on the potty for at least 45 minutes. After that I have to go to work.

What I ended up doing was going cold turkey. He turned three, I waited for my vacation so that I could be consistent with him and then first thing in the morning, I would take his diaper (by force because he didn't want to give it up). Every day he would go later and later into the day without an accident until about the 5th day he made it through the whole day. There were only a couple accidents after that.

Hey, The best Potty Trainings that I have ever had was with Bagihot Potty Training (just google it) Without a doubt the most useful Training that I have ever tried.

I tried potty training my son at 2 1\2 also with no luck, so two weeks before his 3rd b day i said im sticking underwear on him, he's smart enough to tell me everything else he wants that he should be able to tell me when he has to go and it worked. He only had one pee accident and 2 poop. And don't bother with pullups they realize they can pee in them. Also my son never peed in the night cuz we did use pullups at night for awhile and they were always dry. Just jump right it!

CHEERIOS and REWARDS!! Cheerios or something to put in the potty.. let him use it as a target for target practice... then REWARD, REWARD, REWARD. . . suckers, m&ms something that he loves! Make sure he can only get that treat after he potties in the potty

Good Luck!!