English Practice Quiz.... HELPPP!!!!!?

THE PARENTHESIS ARE THE UNDERLINED WORDS!!!

An assistant stamped each (book) with the day’s date.

A:direct object

B:indirect object

C:predicate adjective

D:predicate nominative

2. Choose the function of the underlined word in the sentence.

Is she the (one) from the video store?

Adirect object

Bndirect object

Cpredicate adjective

Dpredicate nominative

3. Choose the function of the underlined word in the sentence.

Wow! These drawings are (fantastic!)

Adirect object

Bindirect object

Cpredicate adjective

Dpredicate nominative

4. Choose the function of the underlined word in the sentence.

Her uncle had taught (her) the basics of web site design.

Adirect object

Bindirect object

Cpredicate adjective

Dpredicate nominative

5. Choose the function of the underlined word in the sentence.

Our Thelma is the (babysitter) for all the neighborhood kids.

A direct object

B indirect object

C predicate adjective

D predicate nominative

6. Call (me) before Friday night.

Adirect object

Bindirect object

Cpredicate adjective

Dpredicate nominative

7. Choose the function of the underlined word in the sentence.

The new suit gave the young (man) an air of success.

Adirect object

Bindirect object

Cpredicate adjective

Dpredicate nominative

8. Choose the function of the underlined word in the sentence.

Some of those exercises are really (tough).

A direct object

B indirect object

Cpredicate adjective

Dpredicate nominative

9. Choose the function of the underlined word or words in the sentence.

Mr. Graves, (a legend in the Civil War reenactment community), has an extensive collection of Confederate uniforms.

Aadjective phrase

Badverb phrase

Cappositive

Dappositive phrase

10. Choose the function of the underlined word or words in the sentence.

She is saving (for an animation program).

Aadjective phrase

Badverb phrase

C appositive

D appositive phrase

11. Choose the function of the underlined word or words in the sentence.

Her favorite was a sweater (with big pockets).

A adjective phrase

B adverb phrase

C appositive

D appositive phrase

12. Choose the function of the underlined word or words in the sentence.

Everywhere, some men always sought a land (beyond the sea).

A adjective phrase

B adverb phrase

C appositive

D appositive phrase

13. Choose the word the prepositional phrase modifies.

Send the latest e-mail (to the new account).

A Send

B latest

C e-mail

D account

14. Choose the word the prepositional phrase modifies.

Did you see that article (about the championship)?

A Did see

B you

C article

D championship

15. Choose the function of the underlined word or words in the sentence.

(In the first place), we don’t have room for a horse.

A adjective phrase

B adverb phrase

C appositive

D appositive phrase

16. The following sentence may have an error in grammar, usage, or punctuation. Parts of the sentence are underlined. Choose the underlined part of the sentence that contains an error. If there is no error, choose no error.

This new (documentary an) in-depth look at alternative (fuels, will) be played again on (Saturday, June 29).

A documentary an

B fuels, will

C Saturday, June 29.

D no error

17. The following sentence may have an error in grammar, usage, or punctuation. Parts of the sentence are underlined. Choose the underlined part of the sentence that contains an error. If there is no error, choose no error.

(Yes, from) my point of (view I) could see the whole scene quite (clearly, sir.)

A Yes, from

B view I

C clearly, sir.

D no error

18. The following sentence may have an error in grammar, usage, or punctuation. Parts of the sentence are underlined. Choose the underlined part of the sentence that contains an error. If there is no error, choose no error.

Under a brilliant summer (sun, lions) slowly crept through the (trees into) the tall (grass, and) toward the herd of impala.

A sun, lions

B trees into

C grass, and

D no error

19. The following sentence may have an error in grammar, usage, or punctuation. Parts of the sentence are underlined. Choose the underlined part of the sentence that contains an error. If there is no error, choose no error.

Our new address will (be 39877) Bakers (Street, Twin) Towns, (WA 34180).

A be 39877

B Street, Twin

C WA 35180

D no error

20. The following sentence may have an error in grammar, usage, or punctuation. Parts of the sentence are underlined. Choose the underlined part of the sentence that contains an error. If there is no error, choose no error.

These (experiments, Dr). Wayne, are most interesting; please send your results to our facility at 12 Johnson (Road Vicks) City, (TX 76748).

A experiments, Dr.

B Road Vicks

C TX 79748

D no error

Update:

no thanks dude... i just want the answers!!!

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I will not do this for you, but I will give you some help on 1-8.

I am assuming that you know how to recognize nouns and adjectives. Is that a valid assumption on my part? Here we go: A. How to find the direct object: first look for the verb. In your first problem, that is "stamped." To find the subject, ask "Who stamped?" The answer to that is "assistant." To find the direct object, ask "The assistant stamped what?" The answer to that will be the direct object. (In future years this is also the way to determine whether or not you have a transitive or an intransitive verb. Don't worry about that now). B. In order to find an indirect object, go through the previous three steps then ask "To whom or for whom did he do this?" If there is no answer to this question, there is no indirect object in that sentence. You do not have an indirect object in the first problem. C To find predicate nominatives, you must ask the first two questions in order to find the subject. A predicate nominative is a noun or a pronoun following a passive verb (is, was, etc.) that is the same as the subject. "It is I." "He is a teacher." D. To find a predicate adjective, you must go through the previous steps. A predicate adjective is an adjective following a passive verb that describes the subject. "I am tall." "He is crazy." Something that can be confusing is having a predicate nominative that is modified by an adjective: "He is a crazy teacher." In that case, "teacher" is a predicate nominative modified by a plain old adjective. Memorize those questions that I gave you. They will help you whenever you are trying to find parts of speech. Good luck and stay with it.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

What do you need help with exactly? Seems here you've added all the questions to the practice quiz and are asking for the answers. Would probably help you more if you were to google search some of the answers, like for indirect and direct object, that way you know what they are.

• 1 decade ago

Hi, I am only giving you the first 10. Sorry don't have time to do the rest.

1. A

2. D?

3. C

4. B

5. D

6. A

7. ?

8. C

9. D

10. A?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.